Style > Beauty

Beauty Closet: Transition From Winter to Spring Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Despite a few warmer days this month, spring still feels pretty far away. However, the shops downtown are slowly redressing their mannequins in floral dresses and students are dusting off their long boards which means the time for spring makeup is rapidly approaching. While I’m all for the dark and broody make up looks that winter offers, sometimes when spring comes you just have to channel your inner fairy princess. That means dewy skin, blushed cheeks and of course a little pink.

Foundation: When winter turns the corner into spring I switch over from a heavier foundation to BB cream for a more natural, dewy glow. BB creams are also great for spring since the air can still dry out your skin (especially out here in Vermont!). My personal favorites are Revision Skincare Intellishade Tinted Moisturizer ($47.00) and Garnier Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfector BB cream ($9.99). Both leave skin dewy, moisturized, and perfect for spring. They also both have SPF in them to protect skin from the sun we’ll hopefully be seeing soon!

Bronzer/Blush: The next essentials for spring are a slightly darker bronzer and some blush. Now that the suns out it’s time to get tan… or at least pretend to be tan! A perfect way to kick off spring is to use a bronzer to contour your favorite features. I personally love a splash of color on the sides of my forehead, under my cheekbones and on the sides of my nose. Adding a lighter, pinker blush to your spring routine is also perfect for the fairy princess, springtime look. I love the Nars Laguna and Orgasm Duo ($24.00) for my bronzer and blush. Adding a shimmery highlighter to the tops of your cheekbones can also be the perfect finishing touch for a dewy spring face.

Eyes: Now that you have your base done, it’s time for the eyes! I like to lighten up my eye shadow for springtime and I tend to focus on gold and pink shades. Fans of the wintery smoky eye might be hesitant to try this, but you can always simply adjust the color palette and continue with your regular routine! I love the Urban Decay Naked Palette 3 ($54.00) is great if you want to continue doing your smoky eye with some more season appropriate colors. If you are sticking to a lighter palette of eye shadows, try adding a small, fine wing with liquid eyeliner to make your eyes pop! I love both the Lorac Front of the Line PRO in Black ($24.00) and the Almay Liquid Eyeliner ($6.99). Spring is also a great time to forgo lots of eye make up and opt for a mascara only look if that’s more your style!

Lips: Continuing with the theme of lightening everything up, it may just be the time to trade in your favorite dark lipstick for some gloss or even tinted Chapstick. The tinted chapstick is great for giving your lips a little pop of color as well as keeping them moisturized.