This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

1.Pumping Your Mascara Brush Improves Application: False

You’re ready to complete your look and pump the wand in and out before applying—we all know this move. The pumping garners a more even application, right? Or maybe we just watched our friends and moms do this and got into the habit of the pre-application pump. Whatever the reason, there’s logic in dropping this habit: pumping will actually dry out your mascara and let bacteria in the tube.

2.Shaving Makes Hair Grow Thicker: False

A widely accepted fact about keeping our legs smooth: the more you shave, the thicker your hair grows back. False! According to Miami derm Heather Woorley Lloyd, “When you shave a hair, you cut it at the base. The widest part then grows out, and the hair appears thicker. But shaving doesn’t change the width, density, or color of hair.” Long story short: the hair may appear thicker, but your hair won’t increase in size or grow faster. Keep on keepin’ those legs smooth.

3.Hair Grows Faster in the Summer: False

The summer is a great time, beauty wise—tans hide skin imperfections, natural highlights occur, and we can show off our bikini bodies—but sadly, hair length is not affected. To lengthen your locks, get more frequent trims and make sure to avoid damaging hair with straightening, blow-drying, and coloring.

4.Serums/other beauty products can heal split ends: False

Products that promise to undo months of damage can be enticing, but before you hand over cash for that serum, beware: the only way to heal split ends is to get a cut or trim. A time when product is worth the money: heat protectant treatments. Before straightening or blow drying, use a spray or serum to protect from heat.

5.Nail Polish Turns Nails Yellow: True

Nail polish addict? Us too. However, frequent application causes nails to yellow over time. The porous nature of our nails leads to pigment getting trapped inside pores, giving the surface a yellow look. The fix: a clear topcoat. Apply one before adding color and your nails will stay healthy.

6.Drinking more water improves the moisture of your skin-false

We hear the merits of hydration all the time. Guzzling liquids can help trim your waistline and improve your overall health, but before you trade your moisturizer for a Nalgene know that staying hydrated can’t help improve dry skin. Oil is what helps skin stay moisturized, not water! However, keep drinking water for the merits mentioned above.

7.Cleansing Skin Removes Blackheads: False

Big red pimples aren’t any fun, but sometimes blackheads can be worse. These blemishes are most commonly on the t-zone and chin and appear as tiny black specks. You’ think that getting rid of them involved cleansing more often, and many cleansing products claim to help with blackheads, but this is false. Blackheads occur when bacteria gets trapped inside pores, and to get them out you need a product to dissolve the oils within.  

8.A High Price Ensures a Quality Product: False

Although name brands and high price tags are enticing, they can be a great way to waste money. Of course, there are tried-and-true amazing high end products, (think Nars Laguna bronzer or Diorshow mascara) but great low end products exist too! Cover girl mascara, Tweezerman tweezers,  and Cetaphil cleanser are a few drugstore favorites. How a product fulfills your beauty needs and reacts with your natural chemistry are what’s most important!

9.Lip Balm Makes Your Lips Drier: True

The winter wind rolls in and the balm rolls out: Chapstick is an integral part of keeping hydrated lips, right? Wrong. Using lip balm too often actually makes your lips drier. This is attributed to ingredients like camphor, menthol and alcohol, and your lips starting to rely on a product.

10.You’re Immune to the Scent of Your Own Perfume: True

Find yourself going in for a hug and hear “omg you smell amazing!” when you thought the scent you spritzed on that morning faded hours ago? Science can explain this one: when you’re used to a distinct smell you become immune to the notes. So relax: as long as you keep using your scent you can be sure you smell fresh, even if you cant smell it!  Just make sure to avoid overdoing it.