nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Lessons I Learned While Working in Food Service

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

When I turned sixteen, my parents started nagging me to get a job., I snagged a position as a waitress at a pizza restaurant in my hometown and w.  While I was excited to finally be making my own money, I soon realized that working in the food service industry is not always sunshine and rainbows. 

However my years of experience can now be condensed into five valuable lessons I have learned from working in a  However, at almost nineteen, I’ve come up with five invaluable lessons I learned after working in a restaurant for two years; even if I got had to get a few ketchup stains on myself along the way.

Lesson #1: You’ll build up a thicker skin.

A few months after stepping into the workforce, an angry customer called the restaurant raging about the fact that he hadn’t received extra dressing with his salad.  Long story short, this customer eventually made me cry.  At the time, his explosive tone and vulgar comments were a bit scarring, but it made me realize that you can’t please everybody.  It also made me realize that if you love ranch dressing so much, maybe you should keep it in your own refrigerator.

Lesson #2: You’ll learn how to multitask like a boss.

When the phone is ringing off the hook, you have one hundred pizza boxes to fold, and customers are walking in all at once, it can be easy to get overwhelmed.  However, in almost no time at all, I developed a system that worked for me, and gave me some pretty awesome multitasking skills that I still use to this day.  For example, I can draft a ten-page paper while belting out my favorite Disney lyrics and eating Easy Mac.  Impressive, right?

Lesson #3: You’ll make real friends.

Even though we all live in different states now, I met two of my greatest friends at work.  One of the best parts of making friends with your coworkers is that you’re frequently surrounded by people who understand “the struggle.”  Whether your party of six left nothing but straw wrappers and a few dirty plates on the table, or you spilled balsamic vinaigrette all over your shirt, you’ll always have somebody to lean on.  More importantly, you’ll always have somebody to split fettuccini alfredo with you when you’re trying to watch your weight!.  

Lesson #4: You’ll learn the value of teamwork.

If you’ve ever worked in food service, you know weekends can get a bit hectic.  It’s these crazy nights that encourage everybody to work together.  You gain some pretty sweet communication skills when you work in a restaurant.  It’s crucial to communicate clearly with the customer, the cooks, the delivery drivers, and even the other waitresses to ensure a seamless experience for everyone.  After it’s all over, you appreciate your coworkers more than you did before, and almost can’t wait to do it all over again… After a hot shower, a good night’s sleep and a week recuperation, that is.

Lesson #5: You’ll learn how to truly respect other people.

Finally, the most important lesson I’ve learned from working in food service is how to empathize with others.  Before I was a waitress, I never really understood how much work goes into providing a customer with the best possible experience. But, the past two years have taught me just how difficult it can be.  So next time you go into a busy restaurant, be kind to your waitress; it will probably make them happier than a $100 tip ever could. 

(P.S. it’s a rumor- waitresses won’t actually spit in your food, but be nice anyway.)

Jenna Toth is a second year student at the University of Vermont, majoring in public communication. Jenna is no stranger to the world of writing-- her grandfather, Owen Canfield, is a former sports writer for the Hartford Courant in Connecticut. She considers him one of her biggest inspirations when it comes to writing. During her downtime, Jenna enjoys long walks to the fridge, playing songs on her ukulele, and cuddling with her black lab, Oliver. If you'd like to read more of Jenna's personal work or learn more about her, check out her social media: Twitter: https://twitter.com/jennalouisetoth Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jennatoth/ Tumblr: https://jennalouisetoth.tumblr.com/
I'm Emma, an 18 year old figure skater and artist from the Boston Area. I am a first year student at the University of Vermont majoring in Studio Art and Psychological Sciences as part of the Integrated Fine Art's Deans program, while participating in Hillel, and The UVM Figure Skating Club as a member of the UVM Synchronized Figure Skating Team as well as the Ice Cats performance team. I am the Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus UVM Chapter and also the Campus Correspondent. I am passionate about fashion, writing, feminism, beauty, living green, and travelling. I believe in being confidently beautiful and empowering women to feel the same!