Your Survival Guide to Foxfield

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

1. Prepare Ahead of time

·      Wear sunscreen and bring some extra to share with friends throughout the day

·      Hydrate hydrate hydrate! Pack plenty of water and Gatorade to stay hydrated.

·      Wear comfortable shoes! Wedges and heels can make you unsteady and give you the appearance of being impaired even when you are not

2. Get there and back safely!

•                UTS buses and Wahooptie are available for Foxfield if you are not on a chartered bus

Cost: $15 round trip or $10 return only

Pick-up and drop-off points:

The Student Activities Building at Scott Stadium

McCormick Road near the Chapel

Beta Bridge

Times: 8:45 to 11:30 a.m. (to Foxfield) and 3 to 5:30 p.m. (back to Grounds).

Tickets can be bought ahead of time at www.foxfieldraces.com or with exact cash only at the pick-up site.

3. Find your friends

•                Organize where you will meet up with your friends and all set an alarm on your phone to remind you, reception is terrible so don’t rely on reminder texts or calls

4. Be aware of your surroundings

•                Write down your plot location on your hand in sharpie, that way if you get lost no matter what you will have it

5. Drink responsibly

•                If you do plan to drink, set a limit on the number of drinks you’ll have and stick to it.

•                Download a BAC Calculator app for your phone or grab a Gordie Check card from the Gordie Center  to keep track of and monitor your BAC level

•                Pace and Space your drinks, and eat plenty of protein and carbohydrates before and during the event to stay in the “Golden Zone”

6. Look out for each other!

•                If someone has become too drunk to walk or control themselves, do not try to force feed them or get them to drink water if they cannot do so themselves. Drinking water when your BAC has already reached a very high level allows even more alcohol to be released into your bloodstream that your body was naturally was shutting out to survive, so their BAC could spike to even more dangerous levels, and forcing someone to eat who is too drunk to eat themselves is a choking hazard.

•                If you find someone who is really drunk or may be blackout, remember PUBS: Puking while unconscious, Unresponsive to a firm pinch near the collar bone or inside of elbow, Breathing slow or shallow, Skin cold or clammy. If someone is showing ANY ONE of those four signs, you should call 911 immediately as they may have alcohol poisoning and need medical attention right away.

Emily Newman is a 21 year old Media Studies and Bioethics student at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Va. She is President of the Lambda Delta Chapter of Delta Zeta Sorority, an Associate Producer for The UVA Miller Center's American Forum, and a Marketing and Media Production Intern for the City of Charlottesville. After graduation she will pursue a career in television production where she hopes to tell impactful stories and thrive in a dynamic and collaborative work environment while also learning how to wear pants with buttons and make meals that consist of more than cheese and wine.