Why It’s Okay To Have “Off Days”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

We aren’t perfect–although honestly Ryan Gosling comes pretty close–so it’s okay to not be a hundred percent every single day. But why do we have this great sense of guilt whenever we down a pint of ice cream or choose Netflix instead of studying until the wee hours of the morning?

The problem is that these feelings of guilt quickly 180 and turn into shame. According to Psychology Today, shame is “the intensely painful feeling or experience of believing that we are flawed and therefore unworthy of love and belonging”.  These feelings can rapidly lead someone to go downhill.

The solution: realize that you aren’t superwoman! The other day, I felt extremely guilty that I had opted for a nap instead of my usual Monday night Zumba class. The feeling of remorse consumed me. It took me a while but I finally realized that it’s okay to take that break. It’s important to listen to your body and your needs–sometimes you really do need the nap, and it’s even healthier than that exercise class.

As long as you’re not putting aside important responsibilities, remind yourself that it’s alright to have a day off every once in a while! If you’ve been working for hours upon hours, let yourself have that coffee break. It’s all about moderation and making sure you aren’t pushing yourself over the edge. Be aware of your limits and a quick reminder: take care of yourself first. 

Smile, it makes you live longer! 
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!