Why Every Other Holiday Is Better Than Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Now that Valentine’s Day is over, us single ladies can finally breath easy. No more worrying about the fact that there is no one to buy us chocolate and flowers. No more being jealous of hand-holding couples. We won’t have to worry about the most dreaded holiday (AKA Single Awareness Day) for another year. It is clear that hardly anyone (except loved-up couples) looks forward to Valentine’s Day. Every other holiday just has so much more to offer.

1.         New Year’s Eve

(photo courtesy of pixabay.com)

Though this may be the most hyped up holiday, it’s all about starting the year off with a bang. Even if you stay in with family, watching the ball drop in Times Square is a great tradition. And if you go out…there is always plenty to see and do. Maybe even a New Year’s Kiss too!

2.         Your birthday

(photo courtesy of pixabay.com

Getting showered with attention and love is hardly anything to complain about. Birthdays are one of the best holidays because they are a personal celebration and showcase how much people care about you, whether they be your friends or family.

3.         Halloween

(photo courtesy of pixabay.com

Candy and costumes, who could ask for more? Not only is Halloween one of the best nights of the year, but it is always one to remember. Instead of worrying about who will ask you to be their Valentine, all you have to think about is what crazy group costume you and your friends will dress up as.

4.         Thanksgiving

(photo courtesy of pixabay.com

The best part about Thanksgiving is the food, no question. Instead of thinking about a significant other, you are thinking about your stomach, which in my opinion is so much more important. I dream about gravy, turkey, mashed potatoes, and pie all year long.

5.         Fourth of July

(photo courtesy of pixabay.com

Smack in the middle of summer, Fourth of July is the perfect patriotic celebration. The fireworks are magnificent, the temperature is warm and comfy, and the barbeques last all day and all night.

6.         Saint Patrick’s Day

(photo courtesy of pixabay.com

Ah, the luck of the Irish! Saint Patrick’s Day is the time to get decked out in all green and celebrate. While an underrated holiday, I still say this one is better than Valentine’s Day because there are no expectations other than to have a good time.