Who’s That Girl? The Inside Scoop on #UVABitch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As Twitter has taken the world by storm this past year, Twitter anonymity has come along right with it – especially at UVA. Numerous UVA-related anonymous Twitter accounts have popped up, gaining hundreds of followers seemingly overnight. Such accounts include a parodied Teresa Sullivan and Thomas Jefferson, a UVA equivalent of Gossip Girl, UVA problems and many more. But one of the most popular anonymous Twitter accounts that has people all over Grounds wondering who is behind the alias is UVABitch. She’s (supposedly) a first year girl that parodies the stereotypical UVA girl, tweeting about Longchamp bags and Barbour jackets, as well as “bitchy” comments about various people, places, and occurrences around Grounds. With over 700 followers, not including the many people without Twitter accounts that know her name, UVABitch is easily one of the most well-known and entertaining Twitters. Unlike other “anonymous” Twitters whose identities have been discovered, UVABitch has managed to keep her identity completely secret. There are many theories about who she is as people analyze her tweets, attempting to gain as much information about the real girl as possible in the hopes of narrowing down the options. However, no one knows for certain who she is, and it is unlikely anyone ever will.  I interviewed UVABitch via Twitter to gain some insight into her tweets and anonymity. 

HC: What made you decide to create UVABitch?
UVABitch:I got inspired by other Twitter parodies like MocoBitch, PrincessProbz, etc. I also thought it would be a fun thing to do and never expected it would be this big.

HC: How does it feel knowing that people are consistently trying to figure out who you are? Are you nervous?
UVABitch:The only people I know of who are trying to find out who I am are all my friends so it doesn’t actually feel like that many people. But then I hear about other people who I don’t even know talking about who they think I am and I think it’s hilarious. I think what a lot of people don’t understand that this is a parody and that people take it too seriously. I’m not worried about people finding out who I am because like I said it is a joke and they would have probably figured out who I was already if I wasn’t secretive enough.

HC: Do you think you will ever reveal who you are?
UVABitch:No, probably not because I feel like it wouldn’t be as funny or people would be mean to my face for things I have joked about on this Twitter. I also know people who hate UVABitch and I don’t know what they would do if they actually found out who I am.

Favorite designer:Tory Burch
Favorite scent:Daisy by Marc Jacobs or Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue
Favorite movie:Mean Girls
Favorite Disney princess:Ariel from the Little Mermaid
Quote/motto to live by:The motto I live by as far as this account goes is, the bitchier the tweets, the funnier the tweets, the more followers I get.
Favorite thing about UVA:My favorite thing about UVA is the people, the social scene and my sorority. 

Sara Neel is a second year studying architecture at the University of Virginia. She is a Contributing Writer and a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus. Apart from Her Campus, she is a writer and layout designer for her school's fashion magazine, V Magazine at UVa, and an Ambassador for Stylitics.com. When she's not busy writing or doing work, you can probably find her shopping, reading, playing tennis, or at Starbucks.
Francesca Lee is a fourth year majoring in sociology with a minor in media studies at the University of Virginia. This summer, she developed a passion for TV production after interning at WETA, the public television station for DC and the greater metro area.  Throughout the summer, Francesca researched, wrote and produced several WETA Around Town segments about the local arts programs and graffiti murals in DC.  As the new campus correspondent for Her Campus UVa, she is working to create video content for the UVa branch to supplement the written content.  This spring, she hopes to study abroad in Denmark and expand her knowledge of international broadcasting and advertising. Francesca also gives historical and admissions tours to visitors and prospective students at UVa and is a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority.