When it Rains it Pours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Finals are right around the corner. Before we can even get to finals, we have to tread through a sea of end of semester papers and projects. On top of it all, your friends are fighting, your mom’s on you about something and you know who hasn’t texted back. It always seems like when things go from bad to worse in a matter of seconds, especially when you’re just starting out on your own. There’s no tried and true way to get through this, but here are some tips to help yourself get over this hill that seems to keep getting bigger.

1. Call your best friend- It doesn’t have to be your BFF from high school, or your favorite sorority sister here. Call your mom, your weird aunt or FaceTime your dog! Go to whatever person who makes you laugh even when you’re in the middle of a sobbing. Things seem worse in your head, and vocalizing your problems to someone outside of whatever situation is a great way to gain some perspective.

2. Get it over with- Make a list of the things that are giving you a hard time. It could be schoolwork, a fight with a friend, anything. Write it all down, and start tackling the smallest thing first. Sit down with a friend and get things out in the open. Don’t let it build into something bigger. Take the smallest assignment that you have and knock that out first. Getting just one thing off your plate, even the smallest thing, can sometimes act as the catalyst you need to push yourself forward.

3. Take a break– Rome wasn’t built in a day. Don’t expect every problem in your life to be over in one day. When you’ve given it all you’ve got, take some time for yourself. Watch Netflix (sparingly!), do your nails, read a (fun) book. Invest your thoughts in something artificial for a little while so that you have a break from all that worrying.

4. Clean– When it seems that everything in our lives is going wrong, it can seem like the whole world is chaotic. Take 20 minutes to clean up around you. Put on your new favorite album (I highly recommend The Life of Pablo) and just go for it. Take out the trash, put away your laundry and tidy up. When you’re just about done, spray a little air freshener so when you’re working, you are surrounded by a clean scent to match your new, clean environment.

5. Reminisce– Take a little time to go through some old photos that you haven’t seen in awhile. Go back 72 weeks on Instagram to find your favorite pictures. As you’re looking at these great memories, remind yourself that the people who shared them with you will always be there and whatever is happening right now is temporary. You have worked hard your entire life, and that is how you got this far. No project is too big, and no fight is forever. All these memories are nothing compared to what is to come
I'm a first year at the University of Virginia. I am pursuing a double major in Economics and Psychology. I have always loved fashion and beauty, and I am seriously considering using my Economics degree to open my own salon. I'm passionate about education and volunteer with a number of groups to further the education of women overseas.