Ugg Ugg Uggly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

My name is Katrina and I am an addict. An Ugg addict that is. When the plague of Ugg-adoration swept through, I caught it. In high school it was okay. Waking up early, rolling to school in my pajamas was what everyone did. They were comfortable, I’m from New England and so the warmth was a necessity. But as college approached, I thought perhaps I should give them a rest.

When first-year rolled around at first I did really well. I would get up, put on real clothes, and feel good throughout the day. But as the weather got worse and I got lazier, the Uggs began to appear. I would slip them on with jeans at first, and slowly with leggings and finally sweatpants. As easy as they were, they make my feet look weird and my legs look stubby. It was a bad habit.

I am proud to say that I have been entirely Ugg-free this school year. When boot weather turned the corner, I stuck to riding boots. When it rained, I had my trusty rain boots, which are significantly cuter and actually meant for wearing in the rain. Of course there was one incident in which my rain boots developed holes in the bottom, which I thought was a serious design flaw considering their purpose is to keep out water, but I rallied, found myself a pair of L.L. Bean boots and kept right on going.

Winter break was a struggle. I went home and there was a foot of snow on the ground. I almost had a few trespasses, but I got some water proofing spray, did up my riding boots and trudged through the snow with the Bean boots and some older riding boots (so I didn’t completely ruin my new ones).

I have to say that once I got out of the habit, it was pretty easy. I find that even a simple outfit of jeans and a shirt look so much better when you’re not wearing Uggs. And my feet didn’t sweat nearly as much.

So I pass the challenge to you, readers. Now that spring is rolling around, sure, it’s easy to keep to Ugg-less shoe ware, but next winter, will you take the Ugg-free challenge? 

Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!