Top 5 Ways to Beat the Spring Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

When the mid-semester point hits, most people find themselves engrained in boring, daily routines. With classes in full swing, everyone is stressed, busy, and can barely remember all those New Year’s resolutions they made months ago. This step-by-step guide will give you great ideas to help you reinvigorate those New Year’s resolutions and prevent you from falling victim to the ‘Spring Slump!’

1.) Get up early(Photo courtesy of Pexels)

Start setting your alarm EARLY and don’t snooze it! Try getting up half an hour earlier one day of the week and see what you accomplish. Take it a step further and set your alarm an hour earlier. As the day goes on, it can get harder and harder to make time for things that aren’t entirely essential. By getting up early, you steal a few hours of the day back, giving yourself a little extra time to accomplish things that normally get pushed to the side. 

2.) Organize the little things(Photo courtesy of Pexels)

Organizing is one of the easiest ways to start feeling fresh and productive. Begin with something small, like organizing your desk, to get started. Once you see how easy it is to get the productive juices flowing, you can move onto bigger things like organizing your assignments for the semester. This is a great beginning step to get you on the right track to achieving this year’s goals. 

3.) Make (and stick to!) to-do lists

(Photo courtesy of Pexels)

A lot of people make To-Do lists, but sticking with them can be a problem. Download an app that notifies you, send yourself emails, or even write those pesky tasks on your mirror. If your To-Do list is staring you in the face everyday, you’re more likely to get things done. And on that note, don’t just put down the things you need to do, put down activities you’ve been meaning to do and just never have time for, like practicing 5 minutes of yoga everyday or finishing that book you started months ago.

4.)  Try new things

(Photo courtesy of Pexels)

The best way to keep yourself from slipping into old routines is to challenge yourself to do something new everyday. Try out a new coffee shop, hike a path you haven’t been on before, or take a different route to class. Switching up your regular routine helps to fight the monotony of a regular schedule and can even give you a new perspective on things you’ve seen a million times before.

5.) Relax and take time for yourself

(Photo courtesy of Pexels)

The most important part of being productive is making sure you have time to recharge. Whether this is watching a movie, doing a face mask, or just picking one night to go to bed early, it’s essential that you take time for yourself. Doing so will help you refocus your energy so you can  tackle the tasks at hand.

I hope these simple steps will help you fight the ‘Spring Slump!’ 

(Thumbnail photo courtesy of Pexels)

Third-year Media Studies and Art History student at U.Va!