Thoughts to Keep in Mind This Holiday Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

It might feel a little weird being home for a month after being at school for an entire semester. In fact, you might feel a little out of place. But don’t worry, that’s completely normal! Here are some things to bear in mind when you return home this break.

1. The world kept spinning while you were away

Wait, the high school got a new Principal? We have new neighbors? What do you mean you redecorated the living room? Whatever it ends up being, chances are that some things have changed while you were away. Don’t let that freak you out, embrace it! While you were off at college taking on new adventures, so were the people in your hometown. Just because home is a little different, doesn’t mean it’s no longer home.

2. You’re still in your parents’ home

I have to say, I struggled with this a little bit when I came home after my first semester. You may be used to the freedom you had in college, but your parents still expect you to abide by their rules. This means being home before curfew, doing your chores, and communicating with your parents about where you are. They will respect your newfound freedom if you show them respect in return.

3. Your high school friends may have changed a little bit

Hanging with your high school friends over break could feel like no time has passed. However, it might also feel like you’re speaking with completely different people. Leaving the high school bubble can expose people to different things, and give us experiences that shape who we are. This doesn’t mean that you will no longer be friends, it just means you will need to take the time to catch up and hear about their new perspectives on life.

4. You’ve changed too!

College is all about finding yourself, and believe it or not, you might have found different parts of yourself while you were away. Don’t be afraid to share the ways you’ve changed with your parents and friends. They would love to hear about how you’ve been and what you’ve done.

New Yorker by birth, Wahoo at heart.