Things to do to be Your Own Biggest Fan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

1.     Exercise(image from unsplash.com,  by John Towner)

Dripping in sweat and desperately trying to catch your breath in a spin class might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you’re trying to make yourself feel extra special, but it really is one of the best forms of self-love. Celebrate all your body is capable of by hitting the trails, swimming laps, taking a barre class, or doing whatever gets your body moving. All those post-workout endorphins will have you feeling great, and setting aside time to exercise is a good way to make sure you carve out a little “me time” in your day. 

2.      Eat healthy(image from unsplash.com, by Alona Kraft) 

Part of being your biggest fan is treating your body like a temple. This means showing your body love by nourishing it with the best possible fuel, which is real, whole, natural foods. However, being healthy is not just picking the apple over the doughnut. It is also not obsessing when you can’t build a perfect paleo meal in given circumstances. A healthy approach to eating is all about helping your physical self, as well as well as your mental self. So, strive to make food choices that will give you the most benefit on all fronts.

3.     Pamper yourself(image from unsplash.com, by Kris Atomic)  

Set aside time to make a nice face mask, or take a relaxing bath, or get your nails done. Every once in a while, doing something out of your regular beauty routine will make you feel special.

4.     Sleep (image from unsplash.com, by nomao saeki)  

If you want to show yourself some love, sleep is one solution! Getting a good night of sleep will be greatly appreciated by your mind and your body. Not enough sleep can create extra stress, and can make you too tired to do the things you love during the day. So, do yourself a favor and get to bed on time.

5.     Journal about the things you love about yourself(image from unsplash.com, by John Kahánek)  

In a society where people are always comparing themselves and striving for these arbitrary, idealized “perfect” standards, it is important to remind yourself of how great you are. Being proud of the things you accomplish and acknowledging what you like about yourself is an important step in supporting yourself.  Just keep a journal on your night-side table and on a day when you get a bad grade, or your boss yells at you, write down some positive things about yourself to keep a positive self-image.

(thumbnail photo from unsplash.com, by Brooke Cagle)