Style Muses of the 21st Century: Fashion Bloggers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

With the advent of social media, these social networking websites have transformed the ways in which we communicate and connect with each other. It has allowed for the spread of ideas to be easier than ever before and the reach of those ideas to certainly be wider. Furthermore, social media has become integrated within various aspects of people’s lives and how industries operate, for instance, the fashion industry.

Before, fashion designers would rely on celebrities, advertisements in fashion glossies, fashion events, and models to share their latest creations and the most recent trends in fashion. However, social media is completely changing the name of the game. In addition, the rise in popularity of fashion blogs, where fashion conscious and loving women detail their fashion exploits as well as their life, share their looks that others can use as inspiration, and their beauty tips.

Fashion blogs emerged around 2007-2008, with Chiara Ferragni of The Blonde Salad, Rumi Neely of FashionToast, and Aimee [pronounced Aw-mee] Song of Song of Style being some of the first pioneers, and have since grown in popularity. The fashion industry has taken notice of the transformative power of social media and has become more inclusive of bloggers within the fashion scene – an example being fashion bloggers Chiara Ferragni, Nicole Warne of Gary Pepper Girl, and Zanita Whittington gracing the cover of Lucky. There are an overwhelming number of blogs that are specific to various styles and ways of dressing and they does not seem to be slowing down anytime soon.

For sources of fashion and beauty inspiration, check out these following fashion blogs:

The Blonde Salad (Chiara Ferragni): This is perhaps one of the most popular fashion blogs that currently exists and Ferragni, who currently boasts 3.6 million followers on Instagram, has become an unstoppable force within the fashion scene! Her style is fun, experimental, and it is clear that Ferragni has lots of fun with fashion.

Fashion Toast (Rumi Neely): Rumi Neely is known for her California cool, laid-back style and her love of thin and wispy pieces, and her fabulous friendship with fellow blogger and America’s Next Top Model judge BryanBoy. Her style is easy to follow and minimalistic and it is always interesting to see what looks she comes up with next.

Wendy’s Lookbook (Wendy Nguyen): Wendy’s Lookbook is one of the most popular petite fashion blogs out there, where Nguyen coordinates outfits that perfectly fit her tiny frame in a fun and flirty way. Furthermore, Wendy’s Lookbook is also accompanied by a YouTube channel where Nguyen has countless videos with tips on beauty and fashion – and a viral video on how to tie a scarf in 25 ways!

Tuula Vintage (Jessica Stein): Tuula Vintage is the fashion blog and travel diary of Australian blogger, Jessica Stein. If you are a fan of clean and simple styles with a nice edge, this would be a perfect blog for you! You can also live vicariously through Stein as she travels to various parts of the world from Croatia to Thailand – and captures them extensively and beautifully for her blog.

Lookbook.nu: While not a fashion blogger, Lookbook.nu is a website where various fashion bloggers and lovers of fashion from all over the world showcase their daily looks. It is a wonderful way to see how people approach fashion, the styles and trends that are popular within specific areas, and, of course, you can gather so much inspiration from these stylish people!

With bloggers such as Sarah Vickers of Classy Girls Wear Pearls, Natalie Suarez of Natalie Off Duty, Kristina Bazan of Kayture, and Leandra Medine of The Man Repeller, it is clear that fashion blogs have become a fixture within the fashion industry and have proved to be not only an awesome way for fashion lovers to find inspiration and gain knowledge but a beneficial tool for designers and magazines to showcase trends and acquire visibility. If you are in need of a new blog to follow, check out the ones listed or scour through social media – there are lots!

Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!