you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Struggle of Finding Internships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

“Oh God it’s that time of the year again. I have to do something for the summer and I want an internship, but it is SO stressful finding internships and I don’t even know where to start!” Here are some tips on starting your search for internships and getting you through the process!

1. Make a Resume. I know it’s hard making a resume, it took me multiple tries, but spending time on making it perfect is essential. Resumes are your first impression so it has to be your best work. Have your friend read it over and over to make sure there are no mistakes. Employers are really picky about that! Also make sure that you highlight the best aspects about you! Show off all your amazing experiences.

2. Now that you have a résumé ready, it’s time to start searching for internships. Location, position, company and requirements are just a few factors that you should pay attention to when conducting your search. By figuring out what you are looking for, you can narrow down your search and actually find opportunities that you are excited about! It’s also okay not knowing what you want to do. That is what internships are for, it is a way for you to figure out what you like and don’t like, so don’t stress about knowing everything.

3. The Interview process is definitely stressful but by preparing for it and being confident, you will definitely succeed. The night before your interview prepare some questions that could be asked and have a general idea of what you are going to say. Don’t memorize it, you want to seem natural during the interview. Don’t stay up too late, by getting a good night’s rest, your body will be physically prepared for the day ahead. Also don’t forget to eat a good breakfast so you have plenty of energy to kill the interview.

4. This is the most important rule for this process: to be CONFIDENT! You need to believe in yourself and your abilities to succeed. Remember that your interviewer is a person as well who is also nervous. Studies have shown by standing in a confident pose for 30 seconds before your interview will boost your confidence and will help you succeed. Everyone is nervous, but believe in yourself and use your nerves to push you to reach your goal. People notice confidence and it’s an attractive quality as well. Be confident and believe in your abilities!

These are some of the most important tips for applying to internships and going through the process. Apply to as many as you want to, but don’t feel down if you don’t get your first, second or third one. Remeber, as one door closes, another door opens. There are so many opportunities, so don’t lose confidence, push through, and believe that you can get through another stressful season of applying to internships.  

I am a second year at UVA studying economics and hopefully Commerce. I love binge watching Netflix in my free time. I also enjoy writing and reading fun and interesting articles!