Struan Shields EP Release Party @ The Southern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Struan Shields EP Release Party with dillingham and John Anderson

Struan Shields is playing a show tomorrow night at the Southern to celebrate the release of his new EP. He won’t be releasing his EP publicly just yet, so only those who come to the show will get to download it for the time being! He’ll be playing a fun set with a full band, and John Anderson and Dillingham, both great, local acts, are opening. If you want to check it out, the doors open at 6PM and the show starts at 7:30PM. 

Take a look at the Facebook event for more information, and purchase your tickets on the Southern’s website! 

Struan also released a new single yesterday called “World of Reasons.”  He says that he tends to write songs that tell stories, and this is definitely one of those songs.  Sonically it’s somewhere in the alternative/singer-songwriter genre, but still pop. 

When I asked Struan about the inspiration behind “World of Reasons,” he described its origins:

“I had just dropped my girlfriend off at the airport and that’s where the idea for the chorus came from.  I started it that afternoon and finished the song that night.  I have memories from high school of watching the planes take-off from Reagan National in DC, so that’s what I was picturing when writing the verses.  Those memories gave such a strong visual that the verse came really easily and the rest of the story developed from there.  It’s one of my favorites off the new EP and I’m really proud of it.”

This song is AMAZING and if you haven’t heard it yet, check it out here: World of Reasons