kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spring Into Your Spring Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

For many of us, Spring Break is literally one to two weeks away. However, we are all just realizing that the extra fluff added on from the winter holidays is still around. Many think “it’s impossible to look good for Spring Break now! There’s not enough time!” – but whether you are going to the beautiful beaches in Cabo or the snowy mountains in Colorado, there is at least seven days to become the healthiest you with a tighter and more toned body. By following some of the simple rules as followed, you will be the one comfortably laying on the beach sporting that new bikini that you bought just for this trip!

The number one issue that many of us face in regard to bikini bodies is obtaining a flat stomach. With a few easy tips, you will see your stomach slowly shrink and the bloat subside:

–        Drink a glass of water before every meal. Preferably drink at least 64 ounces per day!

–        To keep your metabolism high, eat five small meals a day. Pro Tip: EAT SLOWLY and know your serving sizes for the food groups so you don’t overeat.

–        Go to the gym and focus on cardio for at least 20 minutes a day, five days a week.

–         While sitting, have good posture and sit up straight: it tightens the core. Also, while sitting, suck in your stomach to engage your muscles.

–        Don’t eat sweets, soda, or fast food during the week (or couple of weeks) before Spring Break.

–        Strengthen your core muscles by doing reverse crunches, push-ups, and other core-specific routines.

–        Never EVER skip breakfast! It jumpstarts your metabolism to help you sustain energy throughout the day.

–        Get at least 7 hours of sleep every night

–        Cut down on the salt and alcohol (I’m sure over break you will be having your fair share of alcohol!)

–        De-stress: stress causes slow weight gain and a build-up of fat on the waistline.

–        Take the stairs instead of the elevator! Make a game out of it and even race a friend!

–        Don’t try to isolate your core: incorporate yoga or endurance into your workouts for optimal toning

** Recipe to try for de-bloating

Water is the best way to de-bloat and make your stomach seem flatter. Here is a delicious recipe for a drink to make this week!

1)     Get 60 ounces of water

2)     Add a tablespoon of sugar free cranberry juice

3)     Add 1 dandelion root tea bag

4)     Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice

Voila! Drink this 60 ounce water every day for 7 days, and you will not be disappointed with the results.

I’m here to emphasize that exercise isn’t the key to looking your best for Spring Break. Sure, being toned with some lean muscle showing would be nice, but diet is the most important factor for a glowing body. For best results, exercise for 30 minutes five days a week – this will increase your metabolism and create a healthier lifestyle.  For even better results, stick to a 1,600 calorie diet per day for a week. Your macro breakdown should be 45% carbohydrates, 20% fats, and 35% proteins:

Breakfast should be around 350 calories – 200 from carbohydrates (50 grams), 50 from fat (5 grams), and 100 from protein (25 grams).  For a great and filling breakfast try 1 large egg (cooked however you like), ¾ Cup of Fage 0% Greek Yogurt, ½ Cup of Fiber One Honey Squares, and 1 Cup of blueberries!

Lunch should be around 400 calories – 200 from carbohydrates again, 100 from fat (11 grams), and 100 from protein. Salads are great for lunch, because you can mix and match with so many combinations! A great salad from Chipotle includes lettuce, chicken, fajita vegetables, pico, and either brown rice or black beans.

Between lunch and dinner, many people crave a snack. This snack could be the make or break for you, so snack wisely! This snack should be no more than 200 calories – preferably 80 from carbohydrates (20 grams), 100 from fat (11 grams), and 220 from protein (55 grams). Snack bars and granola bars are some great snacks if you choose the right ones- those with the least added sugar! Some of these include Oatmega 3 bar, Special K Protein Meal bar, Kashi GoLEAN Crunchy Peanut bar, and Luna Protein Chocolate Cherry Almond bar.

Dinner should be around 400 calories – 80 from carbohydrates, 100 from fat, and 220 from protein (55 grams). Dinner should be a smaller meal with fewer carbohydrates. A great example of a delicious dinner includes 6 ounces of baked chicken breast, ¼ Cup of reduced fat shredded cheese, ¼ Cup of avocado, 1 small corn tortilla, 2 Tablespoons of salsa, and 2 Cups of a non-starchy vegetable as a side!

Now go out, be the healthiest you that you can be, and have a blast over Spring Break!

Cassia Jbeili is a first year at the University of Virginia studying engineering. In her hometown in Houston, Texas, she had always wanted to start a blog-site just for girls to give advice or fun new ideas, so she is very excited to be working on the HerCampus team! In her spare time, when engineering workload is not taking over her life, she enjoys baking, participating in exercise classes, taking spontaneous road trips, and creating DIY crafts to decorate the dorm room with!