This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Valentine’s Day may have passed, but my newfound love for the holiday has not.

I was not particularly enthused about Valentine’s day until just a few weeks ago. The holiday seemed superficial, commercial (and I still maintain this one to a degree), and exclusive to those with a significant other. Then, however, a friend of mine shifted my perspective. She told me Valentine’s Day was her favorite holiday, which surprised me; she explained that she thought of the holiday as pertaining to love in general: love for one’s friends, family, strangers, and partner.

(Photo courtesy of Tyler Nix)

It’s about celebrating everybody we love.

I brought this up with another friend, who said that was “Galentine’s Day,” but they were missing the point. In my new frame of mind, I understood that love on Valentine’s Day can be romantic or not. Love extends in countless directions. We don’t need “Galentine’s Day” because the original holiday suffices and includes it all (also I take issue with “Galentine’s Day” because the commercial side of Valentine’s Day is already geared more toward women in assuming ways; and what about guys? They can hang out in the absence of a significant other; and what about gay couples? “Galentine’s” sort of implies a binary, heteronormative stance).

(Photo courtesy of Joseph Pearson )

Anyway, I have this new, or should I say rediscovered, appreciation for Valentine’s Day. When my friend explained her position, and changed mine, I thought back to Kindergarten and my elementary years. I thought of shoe boxes covered in pink paper and heart decorations and with a slit cut out of the top. I remembered buying (or my parents buying) and exchanging Valentine’s with my classmates, dropping them into each shoe box. I remembered opening my own box and reading cheesy Valentine puns from Disney characters, licking my lips at heart-themed candy, and smiling at hastily scrawled messages. Other than the occasional, innocent crush, there was no romance whatsoever.

I think there are too few opportunities to acknowledge the love we feel for one another. My friends and family help me through tough times, support me in my endeavors, and celebrate my successes with me. I love them, and I wish I said it more.

I love you.

I appreciate you.(Photo courtesy of Bryan Apen)

We could all benefit from hearing these words more often. Affirmations such as these let others know that they matter; they are seen and heard; they have people in their corner.

I definitely let my crafty side show, making Valentine cards for friends and handing out candy. I suppose commercialism isn’t all bad. If it’s letting me show the people I care about how much they mean to me, then I’ll take it.

Valentine’s Day is a much-needed reminder, placed conveniently near the beginning of the year. It is a reminder to love unconditionally, everyday; to appreciate one another; and to let people know. Tell them. Let Valentine’s Day be a kickstart to loving more each year, in case you forget or start to take it for granted. Emotion as pure as love should not be commodified or habitualized. It should be intentional and whole. Treat every day like Valentine’s Day.

So happy belated Valentine’s Day. Until next year.(Photo courtesy of Kari Shea)