Post-Valentine’s Day Thoughts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The day of love is behind us for another 365 days and while many of us are sighing in relief, a few have caught the ungrateful bug. Instagram and Twitter are to blame for this. It’s being rubbed in your face that most people are in happy, thriving relationships, and you are in a committed relationship with the left over, half price, Hersey’s kisses that now conveniently available at any grocery story in America. With that aside, here is my advice to all of you who still envy the happy couple from Valentine’s Day.

Social Media Is False Advertising

While they may have been smiling for the pictures, what the picture did not show were their disagreements, the days that they don’t love each other as much as their caption advertised, or how often they have to compromise to keep their relationship in good standing.

Caring About More Than You

Keep in mind that just because you didn’t have a significant other for Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean your world is over. Many people do not have fathers on Father’s Day or mothers on Mother’s Day. Put it in perspective.

There’s Someone For You

There is someone out there for you, so don’t sweat it. Just keep on being as amazing as you are and eventually the right person will find you. Don’t settle, because you wouldn’t be doing yourself justice. Just give it time and eventually things will fall together.

So don’t let other people’s love, relationships and happiness get you down. Embrace who you are, where you are in life, and what you have, by enjoying the rest of February free of envy.

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!