The Politics of Millennial Pink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Millennial pink is everywhere nowadays. It’s the color equivalent of avocado toast and iPhones—it practically screams this generation. The trendiness of millennial pink probably began with the rose gold phenomenon—remember that? —but now it’s even more popular than its metallic counterpart since it emerged in 2016. It’s also androgynous and hip rather than being uber feminine. The bags, the hats, and the Adidas sweatshirts could be worn by any gender and still radiate “cool”.(photo courtesy of ohhappyday.com

The most important attribute of millennial pink, however, is how Instagramable it is. Company have begun marketing strategies targeted around this idea—they want products that will make great Insta posts. Glossier, a make-up brainchild of CEO and former Vogue employee Emily Weiss, was one of the first to embrace millennial pink as a marketing strategy. Their Bomb Dotcom lip bomb is everything millennial pink—trendy, cute, and incredibly Instagramable. Millennial Pink is clearly working for Glossier. According to Entrepreneur.com, Glossier revenues increased by 600% percent last year. Furthermore, the company has raised $24 million in Series B funding and will be opening up new retail stores in the coming year.(photo courtesy of modachicago.com)

Millennial pink is not only the marketing strategy of the year, but it also has proved itself to be extremely versatile. In fashion, it has graced the runways of Marc Jacobs to Gucci. In films, it has been used on promotional posters from Wes Anderson’s Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) to Sofia Coppola’s The Beguiled (2017). The Rose Gold iPhone is as millennial pink as technology can get.(photo courtesy of thecut.com

It is clear that the millennial pink isn’t going anywhere. Companies, fashion designers, filmmakers, and advertisers have all caught on to the trend. What isn’t clear, however, is whether this generation will get sick of it anytime soon—after all, it is everywhere. Perhaps something like Generation Z Periwinkle will become the next craze.