Overlooked and Underrated Study Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

During your four years at the University of Virginia, there will be times where you really need to read a few chapters, finish an essay, or cram for an exam. On some days, you’ll just be in search of a relaxing place to enjoy your Starbucks cappuccino and read The New York Times. One of the greatest things about UVA is there are so many libraries, coffee shops, and reading rooms that can accommodate any of your academic needs. 

If you’re a First Year who finds the prospect of exploring different study areas on Grounds daunting, or a Third Year who has yet to see everything UVa has to offer, you are most definitely missing out. Every now and then I have a few hours between classes where all I want to do is sit down, open my laptop, and get ahead on some school work. It’s moments like these that have led me to find some of my favorite study spots on Grounds in the past few weeks. Here are a few of the best:

The Rotunda: This year, the decision was made that Sunday-Tuesday; the hours of the Rotunda would be extended for student access past the usual 5 PM closing time. All members of the Academic Village now have access to the building from 9 AM -10PM on these three days of the week. (See; http://www.virginia.edu/rotunda/rotunda-pilot-schedule.html for more info on hours) Studying in the dome of the Rotunda is as picturesque as it gets at UVa. During the day, sunlight floods into this room that offers antique wooden desks, each with a stunning window view. This is a great spot if you have an hour or two between classes, but consider bringing headphones if the occasional tour group coming through will bother you.

Clemons: This is a no-brainer. Clemons offers a 24-hour study space for those times you know you will be pulling an all-nighter. The 1st floor is “silent,” meaning you can finish those 200 pages of reading you’ve been avoiding in no time, and without distractions. The 2nd floor is more social, with quiet chatter and friends sitting together. The 3rd floor offers a digital media lab, where you can work on any assignment that requires audiovisual components, animation, or digital imaging. Lastly, the 4th floor is great for group projects, and although it still has the “library-feel” you won’t have to worry about being glared at for asking the person next to you a question.

The McGregor Room: Perhaps not the most well known study space at UVA, the McGregor room is located on the second floor of the Alderman library and is commonly referred to as the “Harry Potter Room.” Dark walnut bookcases line the walls, and comfortable armchairs and sofas are in abundance. This space truly feels as if you’ve walked into the common room at Gryffindor, and is perfect for curling up with a book and a coffee on a winter night. I can attest that the ambience of this reading room will actually motivate you to do work.

Check out these spots, and don’t hesitate to explore Grounds on your own! You may just discover a new favorite study spot.

Photo source: http://www.eatthispoem.com/city-guides/charlottesville/