The Notion of Safety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

There is a notion that I think most UVA students feel when walking home late at night from a party or the library.  Charlottesville isn’t particularly known as a high crime area, so that feeling is often one of safety, security, and general well-being. At least, it was until recently. As my time here at the University continues, it seems as if the number of “Sexual Assault Reported” e-mails I’ve receieved has grown in number and frequency. Just this week, police are investigating the tragic dissappearance of one of own our classmates.  

I wish I could say I’ve always followed the “buddy-system” rule. I confess, however, that there have been countless occasions on which I’ve departed from my friends on a Friday night to head home early while they continued onto a party. During exam week, I’m often at the library late into the early morning hours of the next day before choosing to leave alone. Although I consider myself someone who is fairly alert to potential danger, I can’t guarantee that I would be able to flee in the case of an actual emergency. This danger is raised substantially when no other students are around to see what is happening. 

I think it is important to recognize that Charlottesville isn’t quite as safe of a community as so many people like to think. Although for the most part students look out for one another, I caution all students, men and women, to not be so trusting as to think there is no danger. Charlottesville is in fact a city, one which UVA shares with residents who are not considered a part of our community of honor. Students, especially those who live off-grounds, endure a level of risk when they choose to walk home alone at night. 

There are steps that our community as a whole can take to prevent, or substantially reduce, the types of frightening events that have taken place at our University in recent months. I urge all students to walk in groups, or at least pairs, always. In the unlikely event that you can’t find anyone to walk you home, call a cab or use SafeRide. Always tell your friends where and when you are leaving somewhere, and that you will update them when you have reached your destination. As convenient as the shortcut by the train tracks are, choose a more well-lit and busy route home where people can see you. Finally, look out for your fellow classmates. If you see anything suspicious or dangerous, call the University police. It could be nothing, but it could also make all the difference in someone’s life. 

The Her Campus @ UVA team hopes for the safe return of missing student Hannah Graham, and our thoughts are with her family and friends in this difficult time.