This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

I had a lot of time on my hands this summer, and as a result I have gotten much more into makeup and beauty products than I have ever been before. Here, I’m putting that newfound knowledge to good use by sharing some of my favorite products that I don’t see a lot of hype about. 

Tartlette In Bloom Clay Palette

It seems to me that Tarte is not a very well known cosmetics brand, but I love their stuff. I have been dreaming about this palette for months and finally got my hands on it last week. The colors are so pretty and pigmented. There is also a good mix of matte colors and shimmer, which is not always the case in palettes like the Naked palettes that often favor one style over the other. 

Nyx Soft Matte Lip Cream

Nyx is raved about as a good, affordable brand in beauty tutorials, but I don’t actually know many people who use their stuff. All of their lip products are great, and these lip stains are a favorite of mine. They come in so many great shades and dry down very nicely. I was surprised by its staying power and lack of drying effect when I wore one for the first time. 

MAC Mineralize Skinfinish

I know, MAC is probably the most well known makeup brand in the world, but this product often gets overshadowed by the Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow Kits as well as the Laura Mercier Face Illuminators. Those highlighters are awesome of course, but this one by MAC gives you a much more natural glow for a more casual, everyday look. It’s also super versatile and can be used as an eye shadow or even a bronzer. 

Benefit High Beam Liquid Face Highlighter 

Speaking of highlighters, I personally haven’t seen anyone use this one in their Youtube or Instagram tutorials, but I am in love with it. The pink tones look a little more natural on lighter skin tones like mine, but it could still work on other skin types. Liquid highlighters can be a little too much for daytime looks, but a little bit of this could go a long way during a night out. 

Smashbox Brow Tech To Go

Most people swear by tinted brow gel, but I stand firmly by pencils. This one is great because it is long and angled to help mimic the light feathered look of actual eyebrow hairs. It also comes with tinted setting gel to keep everything in place. Unfortunately, it only comes in two shades, but if you have light or medium brown eyebrows I would recommend this product for sure. 

First year intended English major in the College of Arts and Science