Living with Seventeen Girls: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

I live in a house with 17 other women. My sorority house to be specific. There are pros, cons, and valuable lessons that I’ve learned through living there, and I wouldn’t trade my experience for any other.

I like to start with cons, so I can end on a positive note, so, cons…

1. It can be difficult to be alone or find your own space.

We all need our space, our time to breathe and recuperate, to nap, to call our parents or make private calls, to just be. This certainly can be a challenge when every room always seems to have a least a few people in it.

2. The mess can get a bit out of hand.

Living in a house with so many people means lots of communal space, and often people leave things lying around, don’t throw trash away, or leave house item scattered around. I feel as if this I can deal with as long as my own room is clean, but the kitchen is a slightly different story. Plates and bowls and tupperware piled in the sink preventing washing one’s own dishes is frustrating; counters full of trash and dirty dishes is verging on rude. I just want a space to make my gourmet college meals.

3.  The rules.

Living in a sorority house means certain things I can’t do, but honestly these few small prohibitions are not very significant and can sometimes be…circumnavigated.

Next up: the pros, which of course outweigh the cons. I like to have at least two positive things for every negative, so here are double the benefits of living in a house packed full of incredible, strong women…

4. You’re never alone.

What could be a con in some cases can also flip around into a huge positive: I am always surrounded by people who care about and support me. I can always talk to someone if I want or need to. There are always people to do things with. Whether I’m having a good day or bad day, I can count on my housemates to be there for me.

5. Events.

The sorority house is a perfect location for chapter-wide and pledge class events as well as events with just the house girls, so there’s often something fun going on that you don’t have to leave home for! Game nights, movies, hangouts, meals, crafts, and tv show viewings are just a few of the opportunities to bond with tons of incredible people.

3. Fashion input.

To wear or not to wear? I love having lots of input on what to wear, because I am so indecisive, so the more opinions the better!

6. Workout buddies.

Motivating myself to go to the gym can be a challenge, but I have a group chat with friends to accompany and keep each other accountable. Everyone needs a little push every now and then.

7. Homework buddies.

A.k.a. Someone to tell you that you need a break when you’ve been working since dawn and the sun is now setting (or before that point, hopefully). These are people to keep you on track, liven up studying by getting a little off track occasionally, and reminding one another that self-care truly is essential. Eating, sleeping, and taking a moment to relax is necessary to be productive anyway.

8. Lots of lending hands.

Need a specific shirt to wear? A costume piece? A necklace to complement your outfit? A ride to the grocery store? An ingredient to a recipe? With so many girls, I can always find someone to borrow from, and I’m able to help my friends out as well!

Through living in such a unique situation, I’ve really come to appreciate personal and communal space, and the joys and potential drawbacks of each. I feel as if my patience has increased, as well as my tolerance for different living styles, noise levels, and dramatics. I feel closer to my sorority and more involved because of living in the house, which I think is one of my favorite outcomes of my living situation. Living with 17 other people requires heightened communication skills, so I have gotten better at resolving conflict, I confront my issues more efficiently, and I have healthier, happier home relationships.