Lessons from Paris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As I see my mom at the end of the terminal jumping up and down with a box of goldfish in her arms (I requested this American delicacy-they most certainly don’t have them in France) I quickly realize that the past 4 months in Paris have already begun to seem like one long, beautiful, dream. 

I miss the sound of church bells in the morning, tiny coffees, baguette sandwiches (how has this trend not caught on in America?), adorable French children in raincoats, the heartbreaking stunning scenery, men in scarves and blazers, jazz nights at le piano vache, the Paris skyline , being mistaken for a Russian/Dutch/Irish citizen, and riding on trains enjoying the landscape, off on another European adventure. 

When I got on a plane to Paris in August, I had read all I could about the Parisians so I could attempt to seamlessly assimilate into the culture that is sleek, sophisticated, often private, and mysterious. “They wear black all the time,” one person tells me. “They are serious-walk quickly and never make eye contact,” is advice I get from another. I can tell you that some stereotypes are true; they really do wear black all the time, even in the summer, and they’re not interested in chit chat. However, there are some qualities about the Parisians that seem to have gone unnoticed by some. They have mastered the art of fusing a serious attitude with a true appreciation for the world around them–they don’t walk too quickly, they love long lunches, and they know when to stop and have a coffee.  

What have I learned from the city I’ve fallen in love with? Rice is your friend. Noodles too. If the hostel you’re looking at doesn’t  have a website, don’t stay there. Get lost–a lot, everywhere. Be spontaneous–dont be afraid to make travel plans the night before. Stand on your favorite street, close your eyes and memorize the way it sounds and how it smells, you’ll thank me later. Talk to strangers, they can teach you more than you think. Dont avoid the homeless on the streets–say hello. Be in the present and appreciate where you are, whether it’s school, home, or a new place.

You never know what life in a new place is going to look like. You just have to be okay with making mistakes, occasionally making a fool out of yourself, and allowing the world around you to surprise you.