Lena Richards ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Lena Richards

Year: Fourth Year

Major: Media Studies and Government

Hometown: Front Royal, VA

This week’s Campus Celebrity is a fourth year in the College of Arts and Science, and is quite involved around grounds. She is the President and General Manager of WUVA and also a resident advisor at the International Residential College. Get to know Lena, the organizations she is a part of, and her plans after graduation in this week’s edition of Campus Celebrity.

What are you involved in around grounds?

I’m a resident advisor in the International Residential College which I spend the bulk of my time doing and I love so much. The IRC has such a unique and fascinating culture. Sometimes UVA culture can sometimes feel monolithic and it’s awesome to live in a place where diversity is truly celebrated.

I’m also the President and General Manager of WUVA Media; a student run non-profit media corporation. It’s been an incredible experience and has defined my college career and shaped my goals for the future. We have a radio station 92.7 kiss FM targeted towards the greater Charlottesville community and a website targeted towards students and staff. Running a full functioning corporation with bills to pay and a community to serve has been hard, but we have a fantastic student team and board of advisors, not to mention an incredibly hard working office Manager- making it totally worth it and doable.

As a classic RB and Soul station we make it out mission to serve the historically underserved black Charlottesville community and it’s something I’m honored to be a part of.  Sometimes UVA students retreat into our University bubble and we forget that there’s this whole other community out there. We’re essentially long term/4 year guests in this city and we can’t forget about the people who actually live here, and built this community. Bridging the gap between UVA and Charlottesville by providing important news and information, and increasing access to the University and the wealth of information on grounds has been one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done.

Best part about WUVA?

Learning how to run a full functioning media corporation had been incredible- but the best part has been working with other students to create a product we’re proud of and to serve a community that is sometimes (some might say often) ignored by the University.

What are you plans after you graduate from UVA?

I’m looking into Teach for America and the Peace Corps- but my long-term goal is to end up in public radio. I think everyone should take some time to serve their country and help others in whatever capacity they can and TFA and the Peace Corps seem like interesting ways to do that.

As for public radio- I just think public radio has consistently been providing the best news and the most interesting content for as long as I can remember and I’d love to be a part of it.

Advice you would give to your first year self?

Talk to your professors. Not because you should, or just for help in their class ( those are completely legit reasons for which I have gone to talk with professors) but also because some of them have legitimately been a few of the most interesting people I’ve ever met, and as far as I can tell- they actually like talking to students.

Something people don’t know about you?

I don’t like ice cream.

Rapid Fire Questions

Favorite show? 30 Rock

Celebrity crush? Ryan Gosling, Always

Favorite class you’ve taken at UVA? Any class with Professor Little because I wholeheartedly believe he is the best professor UVA has ever had. I’ve learned more about politics, psychology, and sociology in his film classes than I have in any politics, psych, or sociology class.

Hidden talent? I remember faces really well- but not names so it’s not a super helpful talent.

Favorite movie? Ratatouille

Favorite place on grounds? The garden behind Pavilion X which I’m guessing is Garden X but I don’t know.

Clemson, Clark, or Alderman library? 100% Alderman- specifically the Scholars Lounge

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!