Julie Cavallaro ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Julie Cavallaro

Year: First

Major: Environmental Engineering

Hometown: Tampa, Florida

This week’s Campus Celebrity is Julie Cavallaro, who at four weeks into her first semester, is already solidifying her place as a Wahoo. Get to know her journey of becoming a student at UVA, her number one passion, and her somewhat unusual favorite quote ever!

How did you end up coming to UVA?

I had always wanted to go out-of-state and do something different, because a lot of kids at my school in Florida stay in-state. I heard about what a great school UVA was from my mom, and when we toured the university I ended up falling in love with the historic grounds. I tried really hard in high school because I knew it wasn’t going to be easy getting into UVA. It was the school that I put the most time in for my essays and application in general, and I was so excited when I got my acceptance!

What are you Involved in around grounds?

Right now, I am involved with the all-girls cheer team, which takes up most of my time. I’ve been cheering since I was four and my eldest sister had done it, so I had always looked up to her because of that. I think of it as a sport- and I know a lot of people don’t- but it’s something that keeps me active and in shape. I just cheered at my first football game here! It was awesome cheering in front of that many people. To be a part of UVA athletics feels amazing.

Can you talk to me a little bit about your major?

Right now I am in the Engineering School, and I plan on continuing into Environmental Engineering starting next year. I had always been conscious of the environment growing up, while at the same time science and math were my favorite subjects in school. So, I thought this would be a cool way to combine my interests.

Where can you see yourself in ten years?

I hope to move back to Florida – I miss the weather!! Anywhere near a beach in Florida would be amazing. My dream job would be something with environmental engineering, whether it is with a corporation or the government.

What are two things that people don’t know about you?

1. My sister and I both have red hair despite the fact that neither of my parents do! So that’s kind of interesting?

2. I’m the first person from my school to ever come to UVA, which is a big deal for me.

Rapid Fire Questions:

Favorite TV Show: Parks and Recreation

Celebrity Crush: Jake Gyllenhaal

Favorite Color: Blue

Favorite Movie: The Hunger Games, because that’s my favorite book

Favorite Place on Grounds: The entrance into the Engineering Library, for sure. I like to get my coffee and just sit in there.

Favorite Quote: Lil Girl, get to 18!!

Camilla Siazon is a student at the University of Virginia, class of 2019! A proud TCK (Third Cultured Kid) she has grown up in Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore. Her passions include decorating (and redecorating) her room, eating french fries, reading F. Scott Fitzgerald and shopping for lipstick. Just lipstick.