Inexpensive Ways to Celebrate Halloween Around Cville

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

There are many ways to celebrate the Halloween season around Charlottesville, but it’s tough to figure out exactly what your options are. Here’s a list of things to do to get into the Halloween spirit. In addition to fun, these options are easy on your wallet.

Brown College’s “Haunting on the Hill”

Every year Brown College puts on a haunted house located within Brown College, right in the middle of grounds. Admission is $5, and all proceeds go to two charities: The Haven and the Robbie Page Memorial Fund. According to Brown College’s website, “The Haven is a local charity working to end homelessness in Charlottesville, and the Robbie Page Memorial Fund is a national charity which contributes to therapy for children with muscular disorders and injuries.” The haunted house will be open on Friday, October 25th and Saturday, October 26th from 7pm to midnight. This is definitely a first-year staple, and if you didn’t get a chance to do this during your first year at the University, making a trip to the Brown College haunting is a great way to relive the first year experience.

Visit Carter Mountain Orchard

Less than thirty minutes away is the scenic Carter Mountain Orchard where one can spend hours apple picking, tasting apple cider, gazing at the beautiful mountainous views, and more. The orchard also has a pumpkin patch, where you can pick a pumpkin to carve later. No fee is required to enter, so you can spend as much or as little as you please. 

Ghost and Murder Walking Tours in Historic Downtown

Meet at York Place on the Downtown Mall at 8pm any Thursday, Friday, or Saturday and you can take part in a Ghost and Murder Walking Tour in historic downtown Charlottesville. The tours typically cost $15, but students can join in for $10. The tour, which lasts about two hours, includes spooky information and stories about our own downtown Charlottesville. You can find more information at http://www.visitcharlottesvill….

Puppies and Pumpkins

One of the University Programs Council’s newer traditions, Puppies and Pumpkins at the U.Va. amphitheater is always a crowd-pleaser. On October 30th between 2:30 and 5pm, stop by to enjoy pumpkin pie and apple cider while carving pumpkins and playing with puppies. This year, UPC promises to bring “many new surprises” to the event, to make it the “best Halloween kickoff ever!” 

Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!