The Importance of a Morning Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

There is something truly mysterious about college: it is full of everything from unexpected changes to unexpected situations. You never know when a sudden meeting will come up, when your class will be cancelled or even when your professor´s office hours might disappear into thin air.  While these sudden changes may actually sound good when you have an exam the next day and you haven’t studied, most of the time they bring us anxiety. Therefore, to avoid living in a world of surprises and having our nerves spiral out of control on a daily basis, it is important to have a few constants in your life. While you may not be able to control the fact that your professor is going on a trip to the Bahamas, you can control the time you wake up in the morning and what you do. You may be asking yourself, “How do I create a morning routine for myself?” Well, here are some basic steps to creating your optimal, fully-controlled morning routine:

1. Brainstorm ahead of time what you would like your ideal morning to look like. Here is where the “being in control” factor plays a key role. Before even starting your routine, consider what you would like it to look like and make a list of a few things to include. The more appealing your morning sounds to you, the more likely you are to repeat it on a daily basis.

2. Scratch out and fill in all situations that you “realistically” can or can´t do. While it would be amazing to be able to watch two TV shows and sleep an extra two hours every morning, it isn’t realistic because you have classes to go to and a life to live. Therefore, after you have created your “ideal schedule”, look over it again and scratch off components of it that, although they’d be nice, you know they couldn’t happen. In a similar way, keep writing down activities that may pop up that you might have not considered before. Brainstorming is a lengthy process!

3. Keep a constant wake up time. College schedules are completely independent. One day you may have class at 8AM and then the next day you may not have to be on grounds until 2PM. Because of this flexibility it is easy to try to extend our sleeping hours to “relax more”. Don’t do it! Having a variety of daily wake up times won’t help your body get used to hectic college life. Instead, it will experience constant confusion of when to start functioning. Therefore, for the sake of your body, it is better to choose one time and stick to it!

4. Don´t forget the basics! Regardless of their simplicity, eating breakfast, showering and getting dressed are key components that can’t be forgotten on a typical morning!

5. Give yourself some leisure time to do at least one thing you love. College life is extremely hectic. We are always busy participating in different activities. Because of this we often neglect the hobbies we are truly passionate about. Your morning routine is a perfect place to re-start your old passions! Make some space for your favorite activity and do it!

6. Nothing is too small to consider. You may think it is slightly ridiculous to be extremely detailed when creating your morning routine, but there is nothing to be ashamed of. If you need to write down specifics like “Don’t forget to turn off the toaster”, go for it!

From experience, I can honestly say that starting my day with the idea that I am able to fully control two hours of my life destresses me almost completely. I can guarantee that if you consider your personal needs and follow each of these steps as much as you can, you will have a start of your day that will make your life one hundred percent brighter. Good luck!

"Dont set yourself on fire, to keep others from getting warm." -UnknownSecond Year Psyhcology Student at the University of Virginia. Wahoowa!