How To Make The Most of the Warm Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

After a seemingly endless winter, March has finally begun to bless us with a few sporadic days of warm weather. When those days come around it seems like the grounds completely come alive in a whole new way. If you’re like me and want to take in as much Vitamin D as possible and watch your fellow classmates enjoy the weather, here are some ways to make the most out of the above freezing temperatures:

1. Do homework outside. In between or after your classes find a spot outside to work for however long you have; whether it’s a picnic table in front of your dorm, the amphitheater, or the courtyard outside of Nau Gibson; mix it up from your regular spot in the library. Getting a change of scenery is a good way to help you concentrate better, too.

2. Wear your spring wardrobe. Personally, my spring clothes are 100% cuter than my winter clothes so I have already taken my own advice, but if you haven’t yet, break out your favorite maxi skirt or that short sleeve blouse that’s been in the back of your closet since September. Wear your favorite pair of open-toed shoes again or the dress you bought over spring break.

3. Ask your professor if you can have class outside. Sometimes it won’t be possible, especially if it’s a big lecture, but in smaller classes or sections most professors and TAs want to spend time outside just as much as you do. Even if they say no that day, they might still schedule another day to bring the class outside.

4. Move your workout routine outside. Even if you aren’t a runner, you can still do some exercises outside on the grass alone or with a friend. If you are like me and the idea of exercise is mildly disgusting, you could plan a hike for a warmer day or just walk around campus a little more than usual to get some exercise and fresh air in. Anything to make the most of the beautiful weather before spring rainstorms, or worse – allergy season, start. 

First year intended English major in the College of Arts and Science
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!