How Hoos Can Help Ecuador After the Earthquake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

A devastating 7.8-magnitue earthquake hit Ecuador on April 16. Current reports say that at least 654 people have died and 16,600 more have been injured. There are also 25,000 people living in shelters after having been displaced after losing their home. Many of those affected are poor. The country is now in a state of emergency as much-needed supplies are scarce and difficult to transport due to damaged infrastructure. President of Ecuador Correa has said that damage is estimated to be between $2 billion and $3 billion, which is especially distressing as the country is expected to have zero growth and less investment for the fiscal year. For these reasons, Ecuador is in dire need of foreign aid. Some UVA students have taken it upon themselves to form the group, Hoos for Ecuador. As Hoos for Ecuador, it is their mission to raise funds for the Ecuadorian earthquake victims. Some members of Hoos for Ecuador are Ecuadorian international students here at UVA. So far Hoos for Ecuador have raised $2,000, but the people of Ecuador could use much more help and need more Hoos to get involved.

1. “I am a Hoo and I support Ecuador” campaign

Hoos for Ecuador are raising awareness for fundraising efforts through this campaign. UVA students can be photographed holding a sign saying why they support Ecuador in this time of crisis. Photos can be seen on the group’s Facebook page. It is especially important to use this social media campaign to create attention for the cause.

2. Candlelight Vigil on April 24

Show your support and be a Hoo for Ecuador at the candlelight vigil held in the Amphitheater on April 24 at 7:30. It is comforting for any students who may be affected to see support from their fellow Hoos. Even showing your support can make a difference for Ecuador.

3. Donate!

What Ecuador needs right now is more funding to pay for medicine, supplies, and shelter. Hoos for Ecuador has a $10,000 goal and have currently raised over $2,000 in six days. The group has partnered with larger charities, The Red Cross, Young Presidents Organization, and Techo Para Mi Pais, to ensure that funds raised will go to those that need them most. Any dollar you can spare is desperately needed. You can donate here.

Keep updated on the Hoos for Ecuador Facebook page to stay informed on more ways that Hoos can show their support for Ecuador in this difficult time.

Hi, I'm Allyson! I am a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus as well as a contributor for the University of Virginia chapter. I'm currently a 4th year at UVA and majoring in English.