How to Find Bearable Heels for Fall: Never Go Barefoot Down Rugby Road Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

It’s Friday night, and after the three exams and a paper you had this week, you’re 100% ready to let your hair down. You have the absolute perfect outfit planned and a full itinerary of pregames, frat parties and of course a full night of dancing at Trinity. You’re ready to go and running late to meet up with the cutie from your politics class, when you go to grab a pair of shoes and a sense of doom comes over you. To wear the sexiest pair of 5 inch strappy stilettos and be in utter pain the entire night, or settle for your overworked Rainbow flip flops on the sole purpose of comfort? This is a dilemma every fashionista faces, especially when heel height is rising higher and higher on the runway. But one thing that makes me cringe is when women take their shoes off at a wedding or when walking down the sidewalk or, and yes I’ve seen it, in a bar. While it’s reality that no pair of heels will ever necessarily be like walking on air, there are some steps you can take to give your feet a little more TLC on the weekends, and keep those heels on all night long.

1. Fit is the key

Most shoe discomfort is due to improper fit. Don’t marry yourself to a certain size. A size 8 is likely to vary between designers. Make sure you always check a half size bigger or smaller to ensure you’ve got it right. Many women make the mistake of buying their heels too tight. It is actually better to have a little bit of wiggle room, but no more than the width of your thumb otherwise you’re using unnecessary muscles in your legs and feet. To avoid this, try buying shoes in the afternoon when your feet are a little bigger. Swelling is normal over the course of a day.  And most importantly, never sacrifice fit because the store does not have your size in stock. Find it online or have the store order the size for you.

2. Cushion is a life saver

As college students, we of course love a good bargain. But skimping on a pair of heels is definitely not a good deal for your feet. Your feet are low in fat content, so they need extra cushion to be happy. A good way to test out cushion comfort is to walk on a hard surface when trying on shoes. Even if the shoe department is carpeted, walk to another nearby area of the store to get a realistic idea of the shoe. An inexpensive remedy for lack of cushion is to use gel inserts, Dr. Scholls makes a Just for Her version made especially for heels ($11.99 per pair). Or opt for extra cushion inserts in places where you need it most, such as under the ball of your foot. Try Foot petals ($6.95 per pair), they come in different shapes, sizes and even colors. 

3. Choose a sturdier style

Comfort is not only about cushion, but also about stability. Lucky enough for us, this season is all about chunky heels, platforms and wedges. Wedges were thrown on everything for fall from boots to strappy stiletto style heels. Pros of the above: chunkier heels help avoid twisting, providing support to the ankle. Platforms reduce the angle the foot must withstand and wedges have flat bottoms to act as a giant shock absorber.

4. Don’t repeat

Try not to wear the same heels two days in a row. And during the weekdays, opt for flatter shoes to give your feet a nice break. Wearing the same shoes multiple days in a row puts unnecessary pressure on the same parts of your feet. Not only can this cause irritation and discomfort, but also serious foot and ankle problems later down the road.

5. Dress for the occasion

If you know you have 6 different destinations Friday night from Rugby Rd. to Wertland and back again, pick a shoe you know you can tolerate. Sometimes you come across an incredible must-have heel that defies all the laws of shoe comfort possible. It’s okay to wear them, just don’t plan to travel the globe or attend a frat party in them.

Every fashionista loves a pair of heels. They make your legs look leaner, your body look slimmer and they always see, to top off the rest of your outfit. Trust me, I’ve had those nights when everywhere I go I’m in desperate search of a chair, and I have to pass on dancing because I feel like my feet will collapse beneath me. But it is not necessary to sacrifice wearing your heels on the weekend or sacrifice the well being of your feet! Just think about your purchases, modify the shoe where needed, and make sure you test drive!