How to Best Prep for an Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

You are qualified. You are highly employable. Here are some tips to let your interviews know how great you are. 

(Photo by Tim Gouw on Unsplash)

1)   Research the company

What is their mission? Who are their clients? If you get the question “Why XYZ company?” be sure to show off this research. 

2)   Research the interviewers 

Knowing the background of the people interviewing you will allow you to connect more with them. It could also help to provide insight into what candidates the firm is looking for.​(Photo by Dai KE on Unsplash)

3)   Know your resume, and re-read any application materials you submitted

Chances are the interviewers will ask you about the experiences on your resume, or ask you to elaborate on any stories you mention in your cover letter. Be prepared to go into more detail about your extracurriculars and past internship or job experience. 

4)   Practice and use the STAR interview response technique

STAR stands for Situation, Task, Action, Result. Whenever you are asked to “Tell me about a time when…” you want to use this formatting for your response. Discuss the situation, your responsibilities in the situation, what you personally did, and what the results were due to your efforts. It’s always great to choose stories that had quantifiable results. ​(Photo by rawpixel.com on Unsplash)​

5)   Be confident

You were asked to interview because the company saw that you have the skills and credentials to fit in at their firm! Use that to remain confident in the interview. Stand up straight, make eye contact, and put your hands on the table. If you are confident in yourself, they will be confident in you. 

New Yorker by birth, Wahoo at heart.