Her Campus at UVA x Armani: Meet the President of UNICEF at UVA, Sonia!

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Her Campus at UVA is excited to announce that we will be teaming up with Giorgio Armani Fragrances to promote its annual charity partnership with UNICEF! Every day, millions of children around the world don’t have safe, clean drinking water. All it takes is just one person to make a difference. You can make a difference by purchasing the AFL bracelet or by purchasing ACQUA DI GIO/ACQUA DI GIOIA this month – World Water Month. Help UNICEF provide clean drinking water to children in need. We’ve partnered with UNICEF at UVA to introduce and highlight their work and introduce their team member, Sonia. Everyone has a connection to water, and we’re using the hashtag #WaterIs for each person to personalize their story and show why water is important, not just as a necessity but a way to be self-sufficient. Find out Sonia’s #WaterIs story below!

Name: Sonia He

Major: Nursing

Year: 3rd

What are you involved with on Grounds? UNICEF at UVA, Chi Alpha

What has been your favorite part of being involved in UNICEF at UVA? Meeting and working alongside so many passionate and driven people.

What type of events does UNICEF at UVA hold? Our big thing in the fall semester is “Trick or Treat on the Lawn”: most clubs only have one table, but we go all out and have three with cookie decorating, tattoos, face painting, candy, and balloons. We also pass out the Trick or Treat for UNICEF boxes for kids to collect money while they’re out getting candy that night. We recently hosted a Human Trafficking Awareness Week with a documentary screening and a guest speaker from the Richmond Justice Initiative, and we’re excited to be hosting World Water Week this month with various tabling and volunteer opportunities to raise awareness about the need for potable water worldwide.

What are your plans after college? I desperately want to volunteer on a Mercy Ship, which is a ship that travels internationally providing free medical care to those who need it most along the coast and up to 100 miles inland.

How would you recommend someone get started who wants to join UNICEF at UVA?Come to our meetings!  We meet every other Thursday at Clark 148 at 6pm. We’re always open to having new members join us and bring new ideas to the table.

What is your #WaterIs story? #WaterIs freedom. I remember the first time I was out on the open ocean, I felt tiny. The ocean was this immense, all-encompassing thing no matter where I looked around me. It just lent this sense of adventure, like there was so much left in this world to explore and all I had to do was hop on a ship or an airplane or a car and go.

How you can help!

• Share your support on social this month by using the #AcquaForLife hashtag and tagging @ArmaniBeauty + @UNICEFUSA
  • Purchase the #AcquaForLife bracelet which will help UNICEF provide 1 month of clean water to 1 child
  • Purchase Acqua di Gio or Acqua di Gioia this month and help UNICEF provide 4 months of clean water to a child in need. 
  • Join Her Campus UVA x UNICEF at UVA for our event 3/21 from 5:30-7:30PM in Clark Hall! 
Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus UVA. Third Year at the University of Virginia. Economics Major.