Give Thanks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As we head back to school, and leave our families and dinner tables full of food, it is important to reflect on the holiday we just celebrated. On Thursday we sat in our warm homes with our families and friends and embraced everything we had to be thankful for. We were thankful for our families, a roof over our head, the potential for a prosperous future, and some of us were thankful for things unique to our own lives. But as we stepped away from a dinner table full of more food than necessary, it’s important to remember that one day should not define our ability to be thankful for all that we have everyday. There are people around the world, who everyday are thankful for things that we take for granted. The fact that we can even attribute a holiday to our privileged lives demonstrates the amazing life conditions that we are blessed to enjoy. It is important to realize that we are blessed to have the ability to enjoy Thanksgiving.  However, we should also consider what others around the world do not have. As the holiday season approaches, there are families around us that do not have the warmth, food, and comfort that we enjoy. We often complain about “little things”: having to do homework, about a reading that is taking too long, or the simple stresses of life. Luckily, this trend has finally been identified, and it is time for us all to face the truth of our “first-world problems,” and realize….we don’t have any. Yes, everyone has problems that are relative to their life circumstances, but many of our everyday problems are really privileges that we are able to exclusively enjoy. So, the next time you want to complain about a trivial inconvenience, think about those who are in need of what you do have, and what you can give back to others this holiday season. Let us be thankful for what we do have, and be thankful for the fact that we can give to others. So put your first world problems aside, and embrace your complaints. Be thankful for that final you have in a few weeks…and recognize how thankful you should be for the privelage of an education.