Girls in Pearls: Dressing Up on Game Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

This summer while trying to learn more about what the next four years of my life at UVA would be like, I was surprised to learn that one of the university’s many traditions is “girls in pearls, guys in ties,” for game days. But, in actuality, do students really get dressed up in their best dresses and button downs for every football game of the season?

Going to a football game at UVA means that you will probably see more Lilly Pulitzer dresses, Vineyard Vines bowties, and – yes – pearls than you will ever see at one time again (until the next game at least). However, in the sea of khaki pants and patterned sundresses you will also see more orange and blue spirit wear than you would expect, and not all of it is from the many alumni families that come to the games. The majority of the girls are most likely decked out in their pearls – or statement necklaces – but a good portion are also in “We will rock Scott” or signature “Virginia” t-shirts with the school’s logo on them.

The truth, the one that I was desperate to find out before I showed up at this school, is that while some girls will tell you that they like wearing dresses and pearls to the games because of the weather, the tradition, the unity with the rest of the student body, or for any other reason; no one will look at you twice for showing up in your favorite UVA gear.

Whether pearls and sundress just aren’t your thing, you don’t trust those clouds that are moving closer to the stadium, or you would rather wear the school colors than that one purple dress that is still clean in your closet; as long as you don’t show up in the other team’s colors you will be fine. Instead of stressing about fitting in, worry about your own comfort and style. If you love the idea of getting dressed up every Saturday, then go for it, and if you would rather get good use out of all the spirit wear that you bought, then that’s perfectly okay, too. It isn’t really about what you wear; it’s about whether or not we win. 

First year intended English major in the College of Arts and Science
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!