Gabriella Greiner ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Gabriella Greiner

Year: 2nd        

Hometown: South Riding, Virginia  

Major: Civil Engineering

What are you involved in?

I’m involved with CSM (Catholic Student Ministry), Spectrum Tech, and I’m Theta Tau’s (engineering fraternity) co-service chair. I’m really excited about Theta Tau this semester- it should be really fun! I’m also planning on joining Beach Volleyball…

Your favorite memory from this summer?

I loved going to the beach with my family. My dad’s side goes all the way up to Delaware and we spend a week up there. I love being able to relax and enjoy a good beach read. This summer, I read Where’d You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple. It’s a fun novel and different from other typical beach reads because it’s not the classic chick flick love romance.

Class you’re most excited about this semester?

CS 2110, Computer science! I took CS 1110 last semester and I really enjoyed it.  I want to see if I’m going to enjoy it past the intro level and so far it seems interesting!

Sadly, we’re saying goodbye to summer, but hello to fall! What’s your favorite fall accessory?

I don’t wear scarves often- but I love them. I also put a cardigan over everything…

If you could put yourself in someone else’s shoes for the day, who would you choose and why?

It’s not really a specific person but I would want to put myself in a college athlete’s shoes. Recently, I’ve been thinking about how great a time commitment it is, and how amazing the experience would be. I did volleyball in Hhigh school, and I feel like in college it’s a completely different experience. It’s probably one of those things where you’re so stressed out that you’re actually having a good time.

Favorite UVA tradition?

This summer I got asked the same question over and over again. “What’s your favorite thing about UVA?” I always responded with “the feeling of it”. I don’t know how to explain it, but there’s a feeling that comes with attending UVA. Everyone is so driven academically but also involved in a thousand different things that they all love to do.

Quick… first thing that comes to mind when I say:

UVA: The Lawn

Love: UVA (maybe because we were just talking about it…)

Movies: Interstellar (I recently saw it, it was reallllly good!)  

Science: First thing that came to my mind- Physics is killing me.

Friends: My CSM small group- I know if I ever need anything or anybody to talk to they’ll always be there.

Restaurant: Bang! It’s a restaurant in downtown C-Ville. They serve really good tapas!

Smile, it makes you live longer! 
Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!