Five Helpful Study Breaks for Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

1. Take a yoga class: Charlottesville is chalk full of yoga studios. If you haven’t already explored some of them, call up and see if they offer a free yoga class. Even if going to a studio isn’t your style, there are so many YouTube tutorials that you can follow right in your room. Get a couple of your friends together, or even get your hall together and have everyone follow a tutorial together to take the edge off.

2. Watch a TED talk: Think of this as knockoff Netflix. Whatever you do, don’t open Netflix during finals! TED talks are informational while still providing a good amount of entertainment. Your brain can shut off for a little while without you feeling tempted to click the next episode button. I recommend watching some with UVA alumni in order to inspire you to reach their level.

3. Try meal prepping: There is no doubt that everyone is going to be stress eating over the next few weeks. When you need a break from your textbooks, try cooking something in a huge batch. Cooking is a great way to clear your mind, and if you make sure there are plenty of leftovers, you’ll be less likely to run out to Cookout at 3am looking for something to eat.

4. Call your mom: Despite my best efforts to become a well rounded, independent adult, I still need to talk to my mom sometimes. There’s nothing like calling your parents and having them say all the right things when you’re overwhelmed by your three finals and the fact that you haven’t done laundry in a month. If you find yourself getting more stressed by talking to your parents (it happens), call a friend at another school so you can swap horror stories of finals at your school. There’s something cathartic about talking through your problems, especially to someone you love.

5. Go to the gym: This last tip is the most hypocritical one I could’ve included. However, exercise is an amazing stress reliever. It gives you a chance to work out stressors, burn energy and practice mindfulness. I recommend treating yourself to a nice shower afterwards. Get the water at the perfect temperature so it relaxes your tired muscles and take some time to enjoy pampering yourself. This 90 minutes of exercise and getting clean are amazing for getting through whatever finals you’re cramming for.

I'm a first year at the University of Virginia. I am pursuing a double major in Economics and Psychology. I have always loved fashion and beauty, and I am seriously considering using my Economics degree to open my own salon. I'm passionate about education and volunteer with a number of groups to further the education of women overseas.