Final(ly)…A Moment of Clarity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

You did it! You have made it to the end of the semester and have charged through the countless papers, lab reports, tests (and more tests), with quizzes and group projects to boot. Now, there is just one last assignment standing in between you and freedom – the final exam. As finals approach and all of UVA goes into a tizzy trying to get study sessions in, it is important to not lose sight of something that is incredibly important during this time of year: self care.

Before any test, any paper, any project – your well-being is important, your well-being matters, and your well-being comes first. How exactly does one do that when the finals stress becomes more and more unbearable?

Breathe…Everything is going to be okay

During very hectic and important moments like this, it’s easy to get caught up in what’s happening and to focus so much on the future = especially when it seems like your future depends on it. It is also very easy to forget that words carry a lot of weight and have a stronger impact than one would think. When finals seems to be too much, remind yourself that everything is going to be okay…because everything will be okay. Try to tell friends and others this too because you never know how much they need to hear it.

Schedule down time

We all know the feeling – getting so wrapped up in studying and taking the time to absorb all of this information that once you get going, it becomes hard to stop. Or, you feel like you can’t stop because there simply aren’t enough hours in the day for you to get this information down. That is not an effective way to study because it could very well lead to information overload and it quickly tires you out. Be sure to give yourself some time to relax: give a friend or a parent a call, eat comfort food, watch a funny video or television episode (do NOT get tempted by Netflix!), and just do things that will put you at ease.

Sleep!

Yes, it seems like the “sleep is for the weak” motto is a favorite one to live by with college students, and it is very evident during finals. However, just as you need sleep during days that are not finals week, that doesn’t change just because you have an exam or a paper to complete. Allow yourself to get as much sleep as you possibly can because not only do you need it, you deserve it.

Treat. Yo. Self.

Finals can be a pain, but knowing that the end reward is being done with a class and the responsibilities that come with it, make it worthwhile. As you push through the last days of the semester and spend the subsequent days reviewing, reward yourself on a job well done! Whether it is a new food that you wanted to try, that hours-long nap that you will surely take once you turn in that last blue book, or that episode you have been acheing to watch since forever, do it!

Whether it is your first year with college exams or your final one, know that you are much more than a test or paper grade. Continue to study and work hard but don’t lose sight of what really matters in all of this – you.