This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Believe it or not, there used to be only one season that was named back thousands of years ago. History demonstrated that most ancient cultures only named one season: winter. The origin of the word winter stems from the roots of the word “wet,” or the snow and other lovely forms of cold precipitation that graces us during the winter season. It was not until cultures started mingling more in which the word “sumer,” or the Germanic term for half, started as a new season label to denote the other half of the year that was not winter. The two seasons remained that way with the term “spring” emerging during the end of the 17th century after incorporation of the word “Lenten” into English vocabulary. The term “fall” emerged as an antonym to spring, since the opposite of going forward or springing, was going backwards or falling. The term “fall” is more traditionally used in America, while the Latin word of “autumn” emerging at the same time as the fall tends to be used more in Europe. A bit of cool syntax history, am I right? Well here are some fall favorites of UVA and in general of this splendid season. What is your favorite thing to smile at when you walk outside?

1.  Changing Colors of Leaves

I can’t help but smile to myself and see the beautiful reds, yellows, and oranges that dress the trees outdoors. The changing of leaves and their departure always brings such a delightful refreshing sight from all the green of summer. I also love the crunch-crunch-crunch sound as my feet step over the leaves. The crispness of the season greets us every morning with a frost some mornings, and the frost-glazed colorful leaves leave me out of words to describe their simplicity in their beauty. Particularly, I have noticed all the wonderful shades of oranges and reds that don our campus trees. The trees here at UVA have such pride for our school wearing their orange with pride! Doesn’t our lawn look just absolutely beautiful?

2.  Seasonal Style

As the temperatures begin to cool off from the heat of the summer, naturally we all switch our wardrobes up. Flip-flops are replaced with boots. Fuzzy hats and scarves come back into appearance. The traditional autumn colors of red, orange, gold, and maroon are sported around campus. What is your favorite fall outfit to wear? 

3.  Autumn Activities

The fall calendar bursts with holidays, days to celebrate, and other important events. There is Thanksgiving of course! (Who doesn’t look forward to some yummy food and family time?) Then there is Black Friday (if you engage in such a crazy shopping spree), the Fall Equinox where we gain an hour of sleep (thank goodness for that!), and Veterans Day to name a few. Halloween graces us in October along with Columbus Day, which I use the federal government’s title to name. Then there are fun ones of course too! October 10th is also International Mental Health Day, and United Nations Day on the 24th. Giving Tuesday follows Cyber Monday in that jam-packed Thanksgiving weekend. Did you know October 1st was International Coffee Day? I hope you celebrated this past October with something new and exciting to try in the caffeine department. Enjoy your celebrations and holidays UVA! There is so much to be thankful for and look forward to this autumn season. 

4.  Hot Beverages

Who doesn’t love being able to tote around a warm latte or two? Starbucks I know is a particular favorite spot for many of us readers. Probably a stop we shouldn’t make so many times, but alas, a Chestnut Praline Latte or Spiced Sweet Cream Cold Brew is oh so tempting! What is your favorite new fall beverage to drink? Cold or hot? Try something new tomorrow! If you can’t decide, this website has some tips on what is the best…and better…found at our local coffee shop!

Enjoy whatever delights your palate and keeps you hydrated!

5.  Harvest Season

Autumn brings great activities like apple picking, hay rides, and corn mazes to us. Homemade cold-pressed apple cider with a warm slice of homemade apple pie from fresh apples just picked at the orchard never fails to bring a smile to my face. Hay rides through haunted houses and the landscape along with pumpkin picking and treat-or-tricking, the fun never ends in fall! The harvest season is upon us where the farmers labor hard every day to reap their profits. Have you visited the local orchard to do any of this fall favorites? If not, there is still time before winter dawns upon us. Seize the day and make it a memorable autumn-themed one! Have a wonderful time, dear readers, to celebrate this wonderful season of color and sound before we are all bundled up inside!

Meg is a student at Haverford College and plays field hockey for the college. She is an interested writer.