Chadia King ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Chadia King ‘17

Year: 2th

Major: Intended Double Major in Media Studies and Public Health on the Pre-Med track

Hometown: Reston, Virginia

This week’s Campus Celebrity is a girl who finds herself at home behind the camera lens. Get to know Chadia King, a second year who despite her involvements in many organizations around grounds, still finds time for something she loves, photography. Learn more about how she got started and check out her website in this week’s edition of Campus Celebrity.

What are you involved in around grounds?

1. A member of the Virginia Sil’hooettes, an all female A Cappella group on grounds.
  2. I am an Office of African American Affairs Peer Advisor, which mentors and eases the transition of first years from high school into college.
  3. Madison House Math Tutor at Venable Elementary School in Charlottesville
  4. United Sisters: A CIO on grounds which aims to uplift African American Women in Charlottesville and on-grounds.

Why are you involved with these organizations? How do they add to your experience at UVA?

I love being busy… Especially busy with organizations that I love and that give back to my community. These organizations that I am a part of establish and enhance my UVA experience.

What is your favorite thing to do during your free time?

I really enjoy photography. I think it was definitely a passion that was transferred to me by my father. Literally, my dad is the gadget KING and he used to carry a camera everywhere when I was younger. I used to watch him edit photos and I became enthralled! Due to my busy course load in high school, I wasn’t able to take art courses to further develop my skill. Despite that, I still wanted to take photos! I begged my parents for a camera literally for like three years, but they refused because they didn’t think I was “serious”. They wanted me to prove that I would actually use “this” camera so I proved to them that I was serious by continuing to take pictures with my tiny Nikon digital camera and making a scrapbook of my work.  My momma actually surprised me on my 19th birthday with my Canon DSLR. I was super stoked.

Since then, I have not been able to put it down. I have created my tiny side hustle called CKingDiamonds Photography! I am really excited about it! I have made a website already: http://chadiaking.wix.com/kingphotography and I have even started my own hashtag on Instagram #Ckingdiamonds.

Photography, to me, is such a complex language. I think you can see so much more through a lens than from one’s own eyes. When I am out taking photographs, I am always looking for something new, something that inspires me. It may be as simple as water droplets on a blade of grass, or a human laughing in the midst of nature that tells a story of happiness and life in society. Whatever the object is, I try and find the story behind it, a story that cannot be told by him/her or itself.

Best part about being a Wahoo?

The Traditions and the people I have met! At the end of the day we are all attending such a wonderful university with tons of amazing traditions; Lighting on the Lawn is definitely one of my favorite traditions.  I also am so blessed to have such amazing friends and relationships at this university.

Rapid Fire Questions

Favorite show? The Cosby Show… lol.. But more currently, How to Get Away with Murder

Celebrity crush? August Alsina J

Scott Stadium or JPJ? JPJ

Favorite color? Purple

Favorite movie? The Pink Panther with Steve Martin

Dream vacations spot? Paris

Couldn’t get enough? Here is a little more about Chadia.

I was an Orientation Leader this summer and absolutely loved every minute of introducing the new faces to the university! I take real pride in being a wahoo and I really want to make the community here, a welcoming and inclusive community for everyone. 

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!