Celebrate Every Body Week 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

When I was in 8th grade, I bought my first pair of “skinny jeans.” I tried them on in the store and absolutely loved them. I felt so confident and grown-up in these Express jeans. And yet, I refused to wear them.

That year, I was the fittest that I have ever been. I swam 6 days a week for two hours, played on a soccer team and was a member of a dance company. My legs were practically all muscle, but at the time, all I saw was “not stick-thin.”

To get over my anxiety, I posted a picture of the lower half of my body, in the jeans, to Yahoo Answers. I asked, “am I skinny enough to wear skinny jeans?” I am being completely, 100% serious. Users replied positive, encouraging comments, and I began wearing the jeans, and continue to wear them to this day. Now, seven years later, I realize just how ridiculous I was to look to others for confirmation of my own body.

It’s heartbreaking for me to realize that this is a struggle that most, if not all, girls go through. That is why I am so intrigued “Celebrate Every Body Week 2015” hosted by the University of Virginia Women’s Center and the U.Va. Coalition on Eating Disorders & Exercise Concerns.

From February 23rd to 27th, there are numerous events “to promote a more body-positive culture on Grounds,” including a Free Zumba class at the AFC and the “Great Jeans Exchange.” The Great Jeans Exchange, taking place at numerous times throughout the week, allows for girls to donate jeans that don’t fit anymore in exchange for a t-shirt.

Although my 8th grade jeans still fit (in fact they’re a bit too loose on me now), it’s important to remember that self love and appreciation go beyond appearances. Celebrate Every Body Week 2015 is just the beginning of a brand new year. Let’s extend the motivations behind this cause, and remember that the thoughts and opinions of others (especially strangers online), do not and should not change how you feel about yourself and your body.

Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!