The Best Pinterest Thanksgiving Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Pinterest is great for ogling – clothes, jewelry, and when we’re especially hungry, food. It’s also great for fostering creativity, and that creativity is not limited to fashion. Pinterest also has some of the most creative recipes available. I’ve scoured Pinterest for some of the most interesting or new takes on Thanksgiving favorites!

Candy Apple Pie

http://www.doughmesstic.net/20…

Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
1 cup chopped pecans
Apple Filling:
5 Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, sliced very thin)
5 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Cream Cheese Topping:
8 oz. cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
Topping:
3/4 cup heavy cream, whipped
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Directions:
Step 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Step 2:  In a medium bowl, combine the crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Mix well and press into a 10-inch pie plate and up the sides. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until golden in color. Remove pie shell from oven and cool completely. Pour caramel into pie shell and sprinkle with 1 cup of chopped pecans. Refrigerate pie shell while making apple filling.
Step 3: In a large (12-inch) skilet over medium heat, melt butter and add brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir with a wooden spoon. Add apples and stir. Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes until apples are softened and tender. Let cool for 10 minutes and pour into pie shell. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 4: In a medium bowl, using a hand-held mixer on low speed, combine cream cheese and sugar for about 1 minute until smooth. Add egg, lemon juice and vanilla and beat for 1 minute or until fully blended. Pour over apple filling in pie shell. Bake for 30 minutes until an inserted knife comes out clean. Remove pie from oven and let cool. Refrigerate for 4 hours. Let stand outside the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Step 5: Top with whipped cream, caramel and pecans, and swirl with a knife. Slice and serve.

Apple Pie Baked In the Apple

http://domesticdilettante.com/…

Serves 4

Ingredients:

–6 Granny Smith

–1 teaspoon of cinnamon

–1/4 cup sugar

–1 tablespoon brown sugar

–pie crust

Directions:

Step 1: Cut off the top of 4 apples off and discard. Remove the inside of each apple with a spoon or melon baller very carefully, as to not puncture the peel.

Step 2: Remove skin from remaining apple(s) and slice very thinly. These apple pieces will give you the additional filling needed to fill the four apples you are baking.

Mix sliced apples with sugars and cinnamon in a bowl. If you prefer more or less cinnamon make adjustments as desired. Same goes for the sugar.

Scoop sliced apples into hollow apples.

Step 3: Roll out pie crust and slice into 1/4 inch strips.  You can also add a strip of pastry inside the top of the apple almost like a liner to add a little more texture/sweetness to the pie.

Cover the top of the apple in a lattice pattern with pie crust strips.

Step 4: Place apples in an 8×8 pan.  Add just enough water to the cover the bottom of the pan.

Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sliced apples are soft.

Pumpkin Pie Dip

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/11/pumpkin-pie-dip.html

Serves 12

15 oz can pumpkin

3/4 cup brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1/8 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice

6 oz fat free Greek yogurt (Chiobani)

8 oz cool whip free

cut up apples to dip

Directions:

Mix pumpkin with brown sugar, vanilla and spices, blend well. Mix in yogurt. Fold in cool whip and chill in refrigerator until ready to eat.

Makes about 6 cups.

Parmesan Mashed Cauliflower 

Disclaimer: I know this sounds weird, but a friend made it for me and it is actually a delicious healthy alternative to mashed potatoes!

http://www.canyoustayfordinner…

Serves 4

1 head cauliflower, cut into florets, trimmed of as much of the stems as possible

1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes

1/4 cup sour cream

3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

1/2 teaspoon each, salt and pepper

Directions:

Step 1: Fill a large pot with about an inch and a half of water. Place your steamer basket inside and fill with one head of cauliflower, cut up, and one large russet potato, peeled and chopped into pieces roughly the same size as the cauliflower florets. *Note: Trim as much of the cauliflower stem off of the florets as possible. This will help to make them smoother and less cabbage-like in consistency when mashed.

Step 2: Steam the florets and potatoes until very tender and easily pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes. Drain well. Return the vegetables to the empty pot on the stovetop with the heat turned off. Let them stand for about 3 minutes. The moisture will evaporate as the veggies sit in the hot, dry pot, making them better for mashing.

Step 3: Add 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese. Mash until smooth and well combined. The heat of the mix will melt the cheese. Serve with freshly minced chives.

Twice-Baked Butternut Squash

http://www.marthastewart.com/315614/twice-baked-butternut-squash
Serves 6
Ingredients
-6 butternut squash (about 9 pounds total)

-1 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
-1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste

-1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon nonfat sour cream

-2 teaspoons paprika

-6 fresh chives, cut into 1/8-inch pieces

-3 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs, lightly toasted

Directions:

1.     Heat oven to 450 degrees with the rack in center. Halve squash lengthwise, and remove seeds and fibers. Sprinkle squash halves with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Fill a roasting pan with 1/4 inch water. Place squash in pan. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake until squash is tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer squash to a cool surface, and let cool enough to handle. Reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees.

2.     Use a spoon to scoop baked flesh out of each half into a large bowl, leaving a 1/4-inch border around six of the halves so they will keep their shape. To the bowl, add sour cream, paprika, chives, and remaining teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix with a handheld electric mixer or potato masher until smooth and well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Fill six squash halves with mixture (discard remaining six empty halves). Sprinkle tops with toasted breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown and warm throughout, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve.

With these great Thanksgiving recipes, you can guarantee that you’ll bring something exciting and new to your family feast!