Back To School Style Staples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Between the stress of classes starting up again and the sweltering 90-degree heat, looking cute for class is a seemingly impossible notion. When you’re rushing out the door in the morning, it’s all too easy to resort to the classic UVA uniform of Nike shorts, sneakers, and an oversized tee shirt. While I love a comfy pair of shorts as much as the next girl, the feeling of walking around Grounds in a stylish outfit can be totally satisfying. Luckily, there are plenty of easy ways to look put-together without sacrificing comfort. Check out our list of easy, back-to-school style staples for some inspiration!

A Shift Dress

A shift dress, like this affordable black one from Forever21, is a must-have basic that works for both class and a night out. Find one in a solid color for a simple look or opt for a fun pattern that will be perfect for game days! Browse sites like Brandy Melville, Free People, and Aritzia to start your search for this timeless staple.

Boyfriend Jeans 

While it may be too hot for pants right now, a vintage pair of boyfriend jeans will help you transition your wardrobe from summer to fall in just a few weeks. These are totally trendy right now, so it should be easy to find the right pair for you. Whether your style is preppy, edgy, or somewhere in between, boyfriend jeans come in all different fits and washes.

A Bodysuit 

In case you missed it, the bodysuit is having a moment as the latest effortless fashion fixture. It is a perfect transitional piece, since it can be worn with skirts and shorts in warmer months, as well as pants in the winter. Free People, Urban Outfitters, and H&M all have great options!

A Flannel 

Chances are you already have a flannel somewhere in your closet, and the beginning of the fall semester is the best time to start incorporating it into your wardrobe. With the air conditioning on full blast in every building on Grounds, don’t forget to throw a flannel in your backpack to layer over any outfit.