The 86th Academy Awards: What To See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Award Season is upon us, and the holy grail of them all is coming up pretty soon. The 86th Academy Awards will air on March 2nd, hosted by Ellen Degeneres. While we all love the fashion and celebrities, there is also the matter of the movies that are being honored. While I have not seen all of the nominations for best picture, below are a few that I think are must-sees.

American Hustle: Starring a wide range of stars, this movie follows a group of con artists in the 1970s who get involved with federal agents to try to pull a larger job. The acting is great (Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper really steal the show), and the costumes are hilarious. While it is a longer film, the plot moves quickly, so it is entertaining and fast-paced. Both Christian Bale and Amy Adams are nominated for best actor/actress, in addition to having a nomination for best director (David O. Russell).

Gravity: To be honest, I was not as impressed with the Sandra Bullock film as others were. The ending was disappointing, and I found it a little boring, but it is definitely a spectacle to be sure. The opening shots are dizzying and incredible. The cinematography is really amazing, and helps to create a sense that you are also in space. Other nominations include Sandra Bullock for best actress, best cinematography, and best film editing.

The Wolf of Wall Street: This is one of the most controversial films of the year, but I loved it. Martin Scorsese is one of my favorite directors, and Leo DiCaprio can pull it out. The movie is very long, but very fast-paced so there is not a boring moment in the film. Using the “F” word more times per hour than any other film, it is definitely not a film for the faint of heart. Also nominated for best director, best actor (Leonardo DiCaprio), and best supporting actor (Jonah Hill).

Blue Jasmine: This picture is not nominated for best picture, but lead Cate Blanchett is nominated for best actress. Probably Woody Allen’s best film since Midnight in Paris, this film follows the downfall of Blanchett’s character from high profile wife to broke widow. It’s a tragic tale, with some ill-fitting humor thrown in (true to Allen style). Blanchett acts the role brilliantly. Also nominated for best supporting actress (Sally Hawkins).

While I’m sure there are some other incredible films that have been nominated, these are the only ones I can really comment on. Tune in on March 2nd to see who takes home the Oscar.  

Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!