8 Ways To Be More Chill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Everyone loves somebody who’s chill. In this day and age of high-tension deadlines, competitiveness, and academic and professional drive, people sometimes forget how to just dial back the intensity a bit and relax. Here are eight easy ways that you can slow down to appreciate the here and now. Stop stressing your friends (and yourself) out for a bit and just be more chill.

1. Listen to your body.

Between working out, getting to class and meetings, and maybe even to a job or a job interview, you run your body a lot harder than you realize. Try to take a few minutes every day to stretch. Realize the vehicle you have been given and what a precious and unique thing it is. Praise your body. Feed it right. Take care of it. Thank it.

2. Drink water.

Yes, coffee is magical and delicious and crucial to college life, but sometimes a good glass of water is infinitely more refreshing. Skip out on the coffee, soda or alcohol and treat yourself to a glass of water instead. Experts say the average woman should drink about 9 cups of water a day to maintain hydration. While 9 cups is a lot, you could at least start with 2 or 3. It is kind of incredible how good being hydrated feels. Try it sometime.

3. Take a deep breath.

When you’re running all over grounds cramming for that test or trying to finish up that project with partners that just don’t seem to care, life can feel really unpleasant. Whenever you’re feeling too wound up or like you’re about to break, just put the coffee or the textbook or your cellphone down, close your eyes, and take the biggest, deepest, slowest breath you possibly can. In fact, try it now! Slowly count to five as you inhale, and then slowly count to 8 as you exhale. If you liked the way that made you feel, why don’t you take one more? It will help. Promise.

4. Find the beauty.

I see people walking to class with their headphones in, eyes trained on the ground. Instead, look up. Examine the color of the sky. Notice the way the air smells that day, the different birds you see fluttering around, the way the sunlight hits the newly green leaves, or the shapes of the buds against the sky. Life is beautiful people. Don’t miss it.

5. Smile.

I think it’s important to notice what’s around you, from the setting to the people you pass on the sidewalk. Make eye contact. Don’t be afraid. You never know who you might see, or who might smile. Don’t hesitate to give out smiles, either. A smile or a friendly hello from a stranger has brightened my worst day. A seemingly small gesture like a smile can go a long way in the life of a stranger.

6. Do one thing at a time.

Trying to do multiple things at the same time is way more stressful than just trying to knock things out one at a time. Instead of trying to catch up with your friend while you do your reading and trying to make plans for the weekend, just flip your phone over and finish your homework.

7. Let go of what you can’t change.

Not everything is always going to go your way. This is just a basic fact of life. It is important to remember that even when you aren’t happy–or are distraught–with the way something turns out, be it a breakup, a bad grade, or a misunderstanding, there are some things in life you just can’t control. Instead of beating yourself up over something that can’t be fixed or changed, just accept what’s happened, and tell yourself you’ll do better next time. Believe it or not, a fight or a bad grade doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world–it’s just a rough patch to get through.  

8. Take some time for yourself.

A lot of us have to sacrifice our me-time for studying, homework, or social obligations. Some of us might not even want me-time. Regardless, I think it is really important to spend some time with yourself every day, even if it’s just five minutes. Pay attention to your thoughts. Write them down in a journal. Or, if possible, meditate. A lot of people think of meditation as something strange and daunting, when really all it is is paying attention to your breathing and trying to clear your mind of distractions and stressful thoughts. While meditation may be hard, if you spend your five minutes of me-time meditating, I’m willing to bet you’d come out of it feeling refreshed, alert, and ready for the challenges of the day.

Jenna Bernstein is an aspiring writer studying English at the University of Virginia. She is interested in film, television, philosophy, feminism, travel, and art. Oh, and sushi. Definitely sushi. 
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!