7 Essential Date Function Outfit Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Rush has ended and new pledges have been initiated – date function season is officially in full swing. New to the date function or themed party scene? Whether you’re going out with your best friends or that cute boy down the hall, there will probably be a theme at the party and you will most likely need a themed outfit. There are definitely some classic themes that you will encounter throughout your time in college. Here are some essential date function outfits ideas that you can consider investing in now and some ideas for an outfit on a whim!

1. Jersey Theme – This is a classic theme that you will probably see at least once while in college. All you really need is a jersey. You might want to consider buying one that represents one of your school’s sports team. If you don’t want to buy one of your own, don’t worry – one of your guy friends definitely has one. If you really want to go all out, add some Nike socks, black eye paint, and a whistle!

Photo Courtesy of Caroline Reilly and Kayla Wallet

2. Space Theme – This is one of the more difficult outfits to put together on a whim, so you may want to consider preparing ahead of time. It’s easy to accomplish a space-themed outfit with a pair of cute metallic leggings and a headpiece. If you’re really crunched for time you can always be a black hole – all you need is a black dress or any all black outfit!

Photo Courtesy of Kayla Wallet

3. Christmas Theme – Christmas-themed parties aren’t just confined to the holiday season, so it’s best to always be ready. You can pull off this theme with the quick addition of a Santa hat, reindeer antlers or any red and green piece of clothing. Tacky Christmas sweaters are also always a hit, so don’t be afraid to go for the tackiest sweater you can find!

Photo Courtesy of Erica Schuman

4. Hawaiian Theme – Hawaiian-themed parties can be hard to pull off on the spot, but the quick addition of a lei can make you fit the theme in a snap and it’s easier to find a cheap Hawaiian shirt than you think. A quick browse through your local Goodwill store can make you the owner a classic yet tacky Hawaiian shirt, and for a great price too! You can also find grass skirts at your local party store and you can cut them to fit your needs.

Photo Courtesy of Jackie Gaumer

5. Frat Boy Theme – This theme entails party-goers dressed as the classic frat boy stereotype. So break out any plaid shirts, Sperry’s, and baseball hats you have in order to create the stereotypical frat boy uniform! If you don’t feel like buying any of these things yourself, you can always try to borrow from a friend.

Photo Courtesy of Sarah Smith

6. St. Patrick’s Day Theme – The only must-have for this is anything green! As long as you’re wearing green, you’re set to go. You’ll see a wide array of St. Patrick’s Day outfits at these events. Some girls will be in cute, trendy outfits that happen to have green in them and others will go all out with a green tutu and a whole lot of green glitter. It’s up to you to decide which way to go! Go with anything that makes you feel good! An easy way to fit this theme is a cheap St. Patrick’s Day-themed shirt from Target or Walmart. Feel free to cut it in order to make it suit you.

Photo Courtesy of Erica Schuman

7. 80’s Theme – This theme can be a little harder to do on a whim, but another trip to Goodwill can prove to be very helpful. Look for leotards, leg warmers or anything neon! An addition of a cute scrunchy and a high ponytail can help to make any outfit a little bit more 80’s-themed if you don’t have time to shop around.

Photo Courtesy of Lindsey Priester

Now you’re ready to take on date functions like a pro! Have fun and stay safe!