priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash

5 Ways to Get Over Your Post Valentine’s Day Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

If you’re like me you know that Valentine’s Day is just a consumerist holiday, but every year you can’t fight off the disappointment at not having special plans. Well, never fear friends, here are five ways to help you cope with your February 15th slump. Here’s to hoping these will make listening to your friends’ cute stories and seeing their gifts a little more bearable.

1. Spend the day listening to your favorite “I don’t need love” playlist. Not only will this help you feel better, but also you can also literally use it to block out everyone’s Valentine’s Day conversations. May I suggest some old school Kelly Clarkson, Britney Spears, Nicki, Queen Bey, and of course “No Scrubs” by TLC?

2. Watch a “failing relationship” classic. Skip those Nicholas Sparks movies that will just make you bemoan the fact that you don’t have anyone to build you your dream home. Watch Blue Valentine or everyone’s favorite (500) Days of Summer instead to get some perspective on relationships.

3.Wear your favorite outfit. Okay, sure that girl in your class is flaunting the necklace her boyfriend got her, but does that compare to your killer black booties or that scarf you love? Who needs a gift when you can bless everyone around you with your amazing sense of style? Plus it will help you feel confident even if you’re worrying about the state of your love life.

4.Give your friends dumb valentines. For the past two years I have given my friends funny personalized valentines, and it really makes me appreciate the day because I’m making someone else smile. Find ones you can’t help laughing at and pick those. You’ll get a laugh out of choosing them and your friends will get a laugh out of getting them.

5. Buy ALL the discounted chocolate. Yes, this is everyone’s answer to being single on Valentine’s Day, but it works. Chocolate makes you happy so blow some money at CVS or the grocery store, and try not to give yourself a cavity. Also, try to get to the store as soon as you can so you don’t have to fight someone for the last heart shaped box.

First year intended English major in the College of Arts and Science
Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!