5 Types of Girls at UVA, Based on Their Instagram Accounts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

There are only so many types of girls at UVA….. 

Okay yeah, that’s completely false. There’s a bajillion types of girls at UVA because no one girl is the same. I mean, I feel like there are many different types of girls within me just during one class. BUT, on Instagram, you really only find 5 different themes. It’s absolutely wild, because we’re not all alike, but somehow, our instagram feeds say otherwise. Here are 5 types of girls you’ll meet at UVA, based on their Instagram accounts. (TBH, aren’t we all a little bit of all of them?)

The Kate

https://www.society19.com/6-steps-achieve-preppy-look/   

You know this girl likes horses. You know she owns riding boots. Everything she owns is J-Crew, but sometimes she’ll bum it in a Vineyard Vines top in Alderman (She exclusively studies in Alderman because the McGregor Room is her perfect aesthetic). You’ll never see her without her Kate Spade. She owns more vests than she does coats, but every coat she does own is perfectly tailored. The employees at Roots know her by name, and she spends every Friday at the Starbucks in Nau. She’s wayyyyy overcommitted and is in at least 3 different Madison House programs. Kate got into Batten and is studying abroad in London this summer. She’ll come back with a fake British accent.

The Ashlynn

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/153544668523017986/

This girl has a Pinterest board called “Southern Hospitality” and considers herself a modern day southern belle. Her go-to pattern is seersucker and she shows up to every football game in her pearls. She always matches her accessories to the color of her BF Chad’s pastel over the knee shorts. She has no idea how to dress for winter because “it doesn’t get cold in the Carolinas”…. But she’s from NoVa. Her favorite color is Lily Pulitzer print. She’s always smiling and has a tinkling laugh, so you’re completely surprised when you find out that her favorite author is Flannery O’Connor.

The Alexis

https://www.pinterest.com/sandraikladious/t-h-e-s-t-r-e-e-t/

First of all, this girl’s Insta feed is fire. It’s literally just pictures of her shoes and her brunch order, and every picture has a bit of a whitewashed filter that makes everything feel minimalistic. Of course, she looks flawless every day, even if she had to be carried home from Trin the night before. Her name is Alexis, but she goes by Lex on Instagram. She basically lives at Corner Juice. Her highlighter is always perfect and it makes you forget that everything she’s wearing is completely impractical. Making it from your class that ends at 12:50 in Gilmer to your 1 o’clock class in Wilson is basically impossible in full running gear, but she somehow makes the trek in a cropped wrap top without a nipple popping out. You fear her, but you know you’d never wake up at 5 am to do your makeup.

The Emily

http://theeverygirl.com/best-fitness-instagram-accounts/

Emily basically invented athleisure. Unlike most of the student body, she wears leggings on purpose, not because she woke up and decided that she just didn’t have the energy for real pants. She’s become best friends with her Pilates instructor and she wakes up every morning with at least 30 minutes of yoga and meditation. Her idea of dressing up is velour track pants and a cropped sweatshirt. She’s ~quirky and relatable~ and says she looooooovvveeeessss pizza…. But you’re pretty sure you’ve never seen her when she’s not on a juice cleanse. Of course, she’s a vegan, and she wants at least 5 tattoos of flowers and trees to express her love for nature. She gets 8 hours of sleep every night and she’s an Insta influencer for BlueApron. You’ll never see Emily without her yoga mat or her and her Eno in her backpack.

The Mia

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/365143482282130990/

Mia’s the activist of the friend group. The one who shows up for every march on Grounds and drives to DC on the reg. Her Insta feed fluctuates between moody and pastel filters, and she’s got at least one personalized jean jacket with patches on it. She owns a Kanken and presses flowers in her free time. She wears clear Warby Parker glasses and overalls she got from the thrift store. She constantly struggles with her love for shopping and her hatred of capitalism. She’s active on Twitter and isn’t afraid to call out problematic people (although she doesn’t always understand her role as an ally). Her shoe wardrobe consists of Doc Martins and Birkenstocks and she loves taking Polaroid pictures of her shoes in the grass on the Lawn, taking a picture of the Polaroids on her iPhone, and then posting it on Instagram with the caption “love Mother Gaea.”

Hi! I'm Summer! I'm a fourth-year biology major at the University of Virginia, and President/Campus Correspondent for HCUVA. I love HC because it elevates the female voice and provides a platform for my passions in an awesome #girlsquad community! I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoyed writing them. Thanks for checking out my page, and happy reading!