5 Steps to Better Health This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The start of a new year usually means new resolutions. It’s that time of year when people all over the world declare that this will be their year. They will finally get in shape, eat healthy, save money, quite smoking, etc. Unsurprisingly, the most popular New Year’s resolution of 2017 was to lose weight and/or practice healthier eating habits. Unfortunately, this isn’t always an easy goal to accomplish. It can be crushing to feel as though you have failed to achieve your goal. But don’t give up! Whether you want to get in shape for spring break or just feel healthier, here are some tips to help get you on the right track to a healthy lifestyle. 

1.     Get enough sleep

This can be particularly tough to accomplish in college, but it really is so important for good health. The National Sleep Foundation recommends that young adults get around 7-9 hours of shuteye a night. Adequate sleep provides so many benefits, including an improved metabolism and brain function. Ever wondered why you might feel more hungry when you are running on very little sleep? Well, according to research findings, a lack of sleep can raise certain hormones in your blood that are responsible for an increased drive in appetite. 

2.     Eat your fruits and vegetables

This one seems like a no brainer, but there is a reason fruits and vegetables are a staple in a healthy diet. Different types of produce have different health benefits, so make sure to eat a good variety. Although fast food and processed foods are convenient for the busy college lifestyle, they are usually high in things like sugar and fat which can lead to skin problems, poor digestion, weight gain, and more health issues. Try cutting up fresh fruits and veggies at the start of the week to store in your fridge for convenient grab and go snacks. There are also so many cool recipes to try that appeal to even the biggest veggie-haters out there.

3.     Drink water

You have probably heard it before, but you are going to hear it again – drinking enough water is super important when it comes to maintaining good health! This healthy habit can improve your mood, relieve fatigue, aid in weight loss, help digestion, flush out toxins, and so much more. Although drinking the recommended 8-10 glasses a day can seem seriously daunting, strive to do the best you can. You can keep things interesting by adding fresh fruit to your water or drinking all-natural teas!

4.     Get some daily exercise

Think of this as so much more than merely a weight loss tactic! Exercise is really about loving your body and maintaining good health. Experts recommend getting at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise per day, for five days a week. To start, just do your best to get up and moving for at least a little bit everyday! Walk to class more often and consider taking the stairs when possible. Or try out a fun exercise class with your friends! 

5.  De-stress and learn to love your body!

Especially during our college years, life can get super stressful and chaotic. It’s also far too easy to compare yourself and your appearance to others.  Take some time for yourself everyday, be it in the form of mediation or a quiet cup of coffee in the morning to reflect and de-stress. Surround yourself with positive people and remember, health isn’t about weight or appearances, it’s about feeling good and strong in your body.

Here’s to an amazing 2017!