5 Reasons Why I Love Awards Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Award shows are where Hollywood’s most prominent entertainers gather together to celebrate the previous year’s greatest achievements in pop culture. From the most prestigious Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony foursome (or EGOT) to the MTV Video Music Awards, award shows honor talent and bring millions of people together as collective cultural experiences. Who doesn’t love witnessing movies and television shows they’ve never seen win shiny trophies? While the results are certainly the reason for the shows in the first place, there is so much more to these once a year broadcasts that make them fun, exciting, and memorable. Don’t tell me you didn’t retweet Ellen Degeneres’ star-studded Oscar selfie last year! Here are five of many reasons why I love award shows:

1. Creating Lasting Pop Culture Moments

I’mma let you finish, but I can proudly say that I was watching the 2009 VMAs live when Kanye West infamously interrupted a bewildered Taylor Swift during her acceptance speech for Best Female Video. Five and a half years later, Kanye himself “pulled a Kanye” when he ran up onstage at this year’s Grammys after Beck won Album of the Year over, you guessed it, Beyoncé.

2. Elaborate Musical Numbers

In addition to the traditional musical performances that frequently occur at award shows, recent hosts like Jimmy Fallon, Hugh Jackman, and last night’s Oscars host Neil Patrick Harris have wowed audiences with extravagant song and dance routines.

3. Host Zingers

Whether they were blasting James Cameron or George Clooney, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler always knew how to poke fun at the nominees as three time Golden Globes hosts.

4. Gorgeous Dresses

Though I am not particularly interested in fashion, I have to admit that dresses are my weakness. How beautiful did Lupita Nyong’o look at last year’s Oscars? 

5. Hilarious Mishaps

You had one job, John Travolta!

Sarah is a fourth year media studies major and Spanish minor at UVA who is admittedly way too obsessed with pop culture.  Wahoowa!